IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

Volvo V70 I, ETS problems

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
sebu06
Year and Model: Volvo V70 I (99)
Germany

Volvo V70 I, ETS problems

Post by sebu06 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:41 am

Hi,
after my throttle had idling issues in the past months (uneven idle, rps fluctuating with high frequency, but only 50-100 rps), it suddenly became worse (rps fluctuating with low frequency but 400-500 rps). At this point my ETS light came on. I tried cleaning the ETS with LiquiMoly throttle body cleaner, even though it already looked relativly clear. After resetting the error, the ETS light was gone and I was able to drive the car normally. A few days later, the light came back and nothing happens when I press the accelerator pedal. (Is this the limp home mode or my ETS totally failing?)

I read out the error codes and got the following:
ECM-532D MIL requested by throttle unit - Faulty signal
ECM-9190 Throttle Position (TP) - Faulty current

The position of the potentiometers are in indle 12.53 and 14.28 degrees. Since I don't have the software update, I cannot do the test of the throttle body. Can I simply move it by hand and check the live values?

Some time ago I thought that the rough idle got better after charging the battery. I changed the govenor of the alternator and the battery. I get 12.5 volts with the engine turned off and 14.0 volts in indle. The vida freeze frame information shows a voltage of 11.7 volts. Maybe it saved the error code during engine startup? The live value for the voltage are the same as measured at the battery terminals.

I will check the voltage at relay, fuse and plug of the ETS today. Are there any other tipps?

Best,
Sebastian

sebu06
Year and Model: Volvo V70 I (99)
Germany

Re: Volvo V70 I, ETS problems

Post by sebu06 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:35 am

Hi,
I measured the voltages and I got the following:
Battery: 12.27 V
Plug of ETS: 11.97 V
Pin5 / positive lead of battery: 12.07 V
Fuse / negative lead of battery: 12.13 V

Is that OK? I realised that the engine does not react to the accelerator pedal, because the throttle is somehow stuck in the fully closed position. If I 'break it loose' by hand, the engine will start, rev up, even though idling very uneven. I was not able to read out other error codes. After turning off the engine and turning it back on, the throttle is stuck again...

Best,
Sebastian

Return to “The ETM Room”