IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

A Warning About DIY ETM Fixes.

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
Ellipsis
Year and Model: S70 2000
United States of America

A Warning About DIY ETM Fixes.

Post by Ellipsis » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:10 am

I recently attempted to replace my failing TPS on my 2000 S70 2.4 non-turbo with a contact-less sensor, and my experience was so bad I thought I should warn others.

I have experience soldering and this was certainly not my first DIY project. I had already done my own repair on the ABS control module, and thought this fix would go just as well. After purchasing the TPS here; http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-99-00-01-02 ... Em&vxp=mtr I followed the instructions in this video;

I installed the ETM back onto my car, and fired it up. All seemed to be going well, and I drove about 15 miles with no issues, but after stopping to get gas, I had a big problem. When I started the car, the throttle went full-open. The engine was floored, and pressing the pedal made no difference. Thank God it wasn't in gear! I had to have the car towed home, and Xemodex will be the one fixing my ETM this time. I'm not sure what went wrong.

While performing the repair, I removed the bolt after cutting the shaft as per the instructions in the video. When I did, there was an awful creaking sound. Everything seemed alright though, and once installed the car did start normally and run fine for awhile. After the incident, I removed the ETM for the second time; I inspected it and found no noticeable issues. The butterfly valve wasn't stuck and moved smoothly. I'm not sure what went wrong. Perhaps it would have been better to remove the bolt before cutting the shaft, allowing me to grip the section of shaft with pliers to prevent it from turning while unbolting?

Regardless of what exactly went wrong, I thought this should serve as a warning to DIY'ers in the future. If this had happened while the tranny was in gear, my car would have "pulled a Toyota," and I might not be here.

Return to “The ETM Room”