IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

ETM code scanner for ETS light and advise if board damaged Topic is solved

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
Awan
Year and Model: 2001 C70 Convertible
Australia

ETM code scanner for ETS light and advise if board damaged

Post by Awan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi all,
Few weeks ago, I bought a Volvo C70 2001 turbo convertible automatic (Engine: B5244T, ETM: 8644346). In couple of days (about 100 km) the ETS light came on. Then, it drove fine for few days, but from yesterday it is taking two to three attempts to start while cold. Since then RPM hold steady at 850 while idling, but for first 2 to 3 accelerator pedal pressing attempts (in neutral); RPM go first down to 700 and then increase and decrease between 1500 and 700 for few seconds before ultimately smoothing out at higher rpm. From earlier posts on the forum and this behavior, I strongly suspect it is the ETM.

However, upon checking with Autel al519; no codes are shown. Although using live data – TP(%) I can see spikes and valleys; also observed by just looking at rpm meter etc. as said above.

It would be really nice, if I could get any advice on the issue. Like what type of OBD2 scanner will read the Volvo’s ETS light related codes. Will the Autel EU702 work. And what would be the most convenient tools to buy; if I have to DIY (remove & install) ETM and send it for contact-less TPS installment to a nice place I luckily found in Melbourne, Australia. And if ETM board is damaged, can XeMODeX still repair it as other Sacer installment sources say if board damaged contact-less sensor will not work.

Lastly, there is a Bosch TPS (0280122001, 1336385) available on websites like ipdusa, eEuroparts and FCPeuro etc. However only FCPeuro says, that this Bosch TPS can fit 2001 C70 while first two say it will work till 1998 models.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/Volvo- ... 60-1336385
This Bosch TPS has two bolt spaces instead of usual four found on models after 1998. My point is: if Volvo ETMs can be cut and done for contact-less TPS like Sacer, why can’t this Bosch TPS be fitted in later than 1998 models. Has anybody tried this Bosh TPS…

Thank you for your time,

Tags:

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia

Re: ETM code scanner for ETS light and advise if board damaged  Topic is solved

Post by precopster » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:09 am

Hi Shakeel, It does look more and more that the throttle is at fault. Most Autel scanners can't read Volvos properly including MD-519 and MD619, MD802

Last week I hooked Vida/Dice up to a 2005 XC70 that was read with a Autel Maxidas DS708 ($2,000 scanner locally purchased) and it didn't pick up all the climate control errors or the crank sensor code on the vehicle. The mechanic had the latest firmware update on the scanner which costs him $AUD900/annum!!

Vida/Dice will read the car's errors properly but you need to use a Win 7/8/10 Pro laptop for install of the software and then you need to learn to use the interface. There is also a specific ETM sensor sweep test on Vida if you have updated firmware on the car which will allow the test.

Bosch TPS is NOT for post 1998 models, the FCP listing is INCORRECT. Only the Sacer TPS will fit these Italian throttles. You can purchase directly from Sacer in a 5 buy quantity (sell the remaining 4 off on eBay perhaps) or singly from eBay. I'll buy at least 2 from you if you bring in 5.

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

Awan
Australia

Re: ETM code scanner for ETS light and advise if board damaged

Post by Awan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 am

Hi precopster,
Thank you so much,
And thanks also for replying to my inbox message,
Hi all,
If car firmware is not updated, will Vida/Dice give codes if ETS light is on,
Also will Vida/Dice work on Windows 10 Enterprise... I thought it could work only on Windows 7/XP.

There is another scanner for Volvo: icarsoft i906. From its youtube video: It has almost all modules checklist for post 1999 Volvo cars, including ETM.
Any experience shared of this i906 for ETS light checkup will be appreciated. I am interested as it is handheld and easy to use as compare to Vida/Dice.

Further, how to check car firmware update. I called the Volvo dealer (perhaps who serviced this car before, here in Sydney); but they were not willing to share this info free over phone. The other Volvo dealer said since the Car has not been serviced at their workshop; they know nothing.

Lastly I had seen somewhere, that MAF should be replaced with ETM/TPS. Is it necessary for ETM life / engine performance.

precopster
Australia

Post by precopster » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 am

You will still get codes with older firmware. In fact you will get MORE codes with older firmware as the purpose of the update was to avoid the sensitivity of the ECM (engine module) toward sensor faults in the ETM. It was part of Volvo's plan to avoid claims up to the 10 year/200,000 mile extended warranty mark in North America. The rest of the world, Australia, the UK and also received the updates however we didn't have the extended warranty.

With newer firmware the ETM will fail less often (the ECM will avoid calling faults with small errors/variance in the contacting films)

When you enter the sweep test Vida will immediately report whether the software is updated. A Carsoft may report the network numbers but will not let you know if it's updated.
Newer firmware will also allow the sweep test as mentioned of course. The dealer can perform this sweep test as a matter of course.

I've heard good things about the Carsoft i906 however not in relation to ETM and no personal experience with this device.

You should check with the seller of Vida as to the OS compatibility. Most sellers will steer you in the right direction if they have good feedback. My own version of Vida 2012A works on XP Pro.

Awan
Australia

Post by Awan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:14 am

^ Thanks a lot

precopster
Australia

Post by precopster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Once you receive the Vida/Dice you can check for both sensor 1 and sensor 2 outputs from the ETM (most OBD II scanners can only read an interpolated throttle position comprising both sensor outputs)
Some ETMs fail in their input stage and can't see one or both of their sensors

Next you can do a sweep test if you have updated firmware (you will need to achieve under 2% variance if both contact films are OK)
Some ETMs can TOTALLY pass a sweep test yet get to a certain temperature while connected to the engine and fail with many codes (these are usually severe circuit board faults)

Next step is to get some codes. Many ECM codes relating to the throttle is not a good thing. If only 2 ECM codes relating to throttle and one of them is ECM-9150 or ECM-9160 you can probably fit a contact-less if the ABOVE tests work out.

Martyans
Year and Model: 2001 S60
Lithuania

Post by Martyans » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:01 am

Hello,

there is a handy tool for ETM testing and reprogramming/cloning. It's very useful for ETM repair technicians. It can be found on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122305093157

Return to “The ETM Room”