IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

There are only crickets in here...

All the classics... pre-1975 Volvos.
volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Re: There are only crickets in here...

Post by volvolugnut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:45 am

Cool photos.
volvolugnut
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:33 am

My son at the Ballard Locks, summer 2017:

IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_0260.jpg

KEXP's marvelous new home at the Seattle Center, 2017:

IMG_0283.jpg

The house you may have read about where https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Macefield wouldn't sell to the developer, even for $1 million, so they built around it. It's across the street and down a little a block south from Mike's Chili, same day, 2017:

IMG_0286.jpg
Edith Macefield (August 21, 1921 – June 15, 2008) was a real estate holdout who received worldwide attention in 2006 when she turned down an offer of $1 million to sell her house to make way for a commercial development in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle, Washington[1][2][3][4][5][6][7] (originally reported as a package worth $750,000).[8] Instead, the five-story project was built surrounding her 108-year-old farmhouse, where she died at age 86 in 2008.[9] In the process, she became something of a folk hero.[10]
Wide shot, not mine, 2020:

edith-house.jpg
from

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Edith ... 22.3753243
After she died, Macefield willed her house to the new building's construction superintendent, Barry Martin, in gratitude for his friendship and caretaker role.[6][11] Martin told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, "Two or three times she was basically going to sell and move, and then I know the last time she ended up falling and breaking some ribs, and that kind of took the gas out of her, and then it was just too much work."
I miss Seattle. I had a wonderful time there during my seven point eight years. I lived in a lot of neighborhoods, got married on the Skansonia, bought my first house, got divorced, worked for several really interesting startups and the ad agency, fell in love, got hurt, drank, photographed, explored... lived. I was in the Wheelhouse of my life, age-wise. Fond memories.
Last edited by matthew1 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited Edith house location
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:41 am

My first house (center, beige), courtesy Google Street View, 2019:

121-nw-75.jpg
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:00 am

My first house, back yard view, move-in day in January 2004, with my then-wife. This was before I painted it. Paid $324k, now it's 2.5X that:

IMG_0941.jpg
IMG_0941.jpg (93.22 KiB) Viewed 83 times

BB, did you ever go to Mars Bar/Cafe Venus? It was only open for a short window, maybe 5 years, maybe less. I was a regular in 2006-2007. Great place. Wow did I have fun there. Now it's a RE office. Bo-ring.

Sorry to everyone reading if you find this off-topic. It's become Matt's Seattle Nostalgia Thread™, with supporting posts from Black Bart (thank you).
Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:35 am

No worries, this is interesting. I only visited Seattle once and mostly saw the airport.
volvolugnut
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

BlackBart
Year and Model: 2004 XC70 BlackBetty
Sweden
BlackBart

Post by BlackBart » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:01 pm

matthew1 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:33 am
My son at the Ballard Locks, summer 2017:

IMG_0229.jpg

The house you may have read about where https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Macefield wouldn't sell to the developer, even for $1 million, so they built around it. It's across the street and down a little a block south from Mike's Chili, same day, 2017:

IMG_0286.jpg
The locks and gardens and fish ladder were great places to take out of town visitors. Those underground windows were wall to wall with HUGE fish! It was crazy. Old guys just cruising' up the stream, no hurry, be cool. A few bite marks and propeller scars here and there. Then the salmon runs got hit badly, and there were literally NO fish coming through there. There would be a poor intern sap from Fish & Wildlife sitting in a folding chair with a clipboard......waiting for a fish so he could right it down. Depressing.

I walked my bike across the dam and lock gates twice a day in the rain - just me and the leaping salmon and an an old tugboat....In slippery bike cleats...click click click.... In summer it was a zoo of tourists.

The old lady with the house was quite a story. When I was there none of that development had happened - Ballard was still pretty sleepy. The whole block around her was a sunken concrete yard with garbage trucks stored. They came and went up a ramp. She was surrounded by the retaining wall and drop-offs on three sides to these garbage trucks. She wouldn't sell. Amazing she kept that up when the big bucks started to roll in. That's Whole Foods and health clubs and condos and stuff all around there now.

Mars Bar - nope, never saw it.

We were there for grad school and just stayed. Many apartments, jobs, two kids, and a house later we moved to MT (with me kicking and screaming). The MT state constitution states if you hit 40 and/or have kids, you must move back. The phrase you'd hear was always "When did you move back?" Seriously.

But actually, we were thinking about doing something different, getting off the treadmill, maybe go back to CO, or hmm where could you make a living in MT? House prices were going nuts back then even and we outgrew that little bungalow, and you couldn't afford to buy in your own neighborhood. Then parents became very ill and needed us, so we bailed and made do. Our kids, however, have grown up in an honest, real community, and had time with grandparents, and good schools, and close biking and hiking, and hip music and literature, and made lots of good friends.

In Ballard, we had keys to our neighbors houses and all the neighborhood kids were running around together somewhere and they were fine. We feel the same way about this place now. It's been 20 years, after 17 in Seattle. Hard to believe.

And I miss all those 122 wagons I saw all the time!!
122 drawing.jpeg
122 drawing.jpeg (81.34 KiB) Viewed 69 times
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon
2004 XC70 wagon BlackBetty
Is it time for a 1964 122 wagon?

BlackBart
Sweden
BlackBart

Post by BlackBart » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:39 pm

I worked right across the street from the clock and the bronze pig in the Pike Place Market downtown for quite a while. We had old historic arched windows that would pivot wide open. All the noise and chaos of the public market roared in the windows. One of my co-workers (a bohemian punker!) got sick of the unskilled musicians that would twang away under the clock at the same times every day. He opened those windows wide, arched a long shot with a grape, and put it right down the bell of this poor saxophonist. HONK!

In the winter, in the morning, you'd have the whole place to yourselves, except for the guys unloading fish for the stalls each day. I remember a full size Chevy pickup full of ice, with a huge Halibut filling up most of the pickup bed! He took three big guys to unload!

We were in the brick building in the arched windows - that's mine opened!
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 60 times
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:52 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:39 pm
I worked right across the street from the clock and the bronze pig in the Pike Place Market downtown for quite a while. We had old historic arched windows that would pivot wide open horizontally. All the noise and chaos of the public market roared in the windows. In the winter, in the morning, you'd have the whole place to yourselves, except for the guys unloading fish for the stalls each day. I remember a full size Chevy pickup full of ice, with a huge Halibut filling up most of the pickup bed! He was a chore to unload!
We were in the brick building in the arched windows - that's mine opened!
Ever go to the White Horse down the alley? I went a couple times. Nice place.

The Public Market is a gem. Go anywhere else in the world and the type of place is just routine. But in the States, it stands out because of the food/coffee/location/culture/history. That's really great you got to work right above it. Something tells me I've been on that floor of that building, but something else tells me it was only the ground floor.

My son and me, that same day, 2017:
IMG_0176.jpg
The reason for all these (Aug 15) 2017 photos of Seattle is because we had a day layover on the way to Italy to have an absolute blast staying with my US Navy buddy in Aci Trezza in Sicily (another thread, another day, perhaps). A decade of saved credit card air miles + free place to stay made that possible. Me and my son made wonderful memories on that trip, and Joe, if you're reading, thank you again.
Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm

UW rowing team with Queen Anne in the background, Eastlake houseboat in the foreground, 2006:
iconic-seattle-7.jpg
iconic-seattle-7.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 55 times

Next to the train/bus station (left of the camera), looking north, 2006:
DSC_2041 (1) - Version 3.jpg

There's a really strange park, even by Seattle standards strange, under I-5 near where I used to live in Eastlake, 2006:
seattle-random-1024s-2.jpg
seattle-random-1024s-2.jpg (195.67 KiB) Viewed 55 times

Aurora Bridge circa 2003:
iconic-seattle-14.jpg
iconic-seattle-14.jpg (95.81 KiB) Viewed 55 times

... and the other end:
iconic-seattle-15.jpg
iconic-seattle-15.jpg (135.71 KiB) Viewed 55 times

Looking south-ish at the Space Needle from Eastlake, 2006:
iconic-seattle-13.jpg
iconic-seattle-13.jpg (117.55 KiB) Viewed 55 times

Smith Tower, 2006:
DSC1328.jpg
DSC1328.jpg (77.47 KiB) Viewed 55 times

Hot Rod outside of Linda's on Pine in Capitol Hill, 2006:
_DSC4374.jpg
_DSC4374.jpg (113.45 KiB) Viewed 55 times
Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

BlackBart
Sweden
BlackBart

Post by BlackBart » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Great pics, and a great trip with your son!

We had a jazz club under us on 2nd floor, flower shop at the bottom of the stairs, and a swank french restaurant down the hall from us. We were the low rent guys in the corner (with a suspicious amount of produce).

I like the south end of the Fremont bridge and Westlake going around the corner down the lake. All those houseboats and boat shops and bookstores, and now a bike path I'm told. There were some cool old wooden runabouts under some of those buildings. I worked in a shingled building on stilts over the water on Westlake. But we dared not look up at the view, or the whip would crack!!

I really like Northlake from Gasworks Park east to the University - all those old docks and yards and offices on stilts and drawbridges and I-5 wayyyy up above you. There's a cool little taco place above a kayak rental shop near the U.....Aguaverde, that's it.
http://aguaverdecafe.com

The Wooden Boat Shop and Recycled Cycles on Boat St.

We'd go swim in Lake Union at public access / street end parks next to the NOAA ships along Eastlake / Fairview, until we learned about 100 years of dumping shipyard toxics on the bottom and decided to quit. I knew a guy on a houseboat across from the UW hospital and we'd jump in and kayak and watch fancy boats go by. We tried to rent a houseboat on Fairview, up against the shore with no view, for $500/mo (a fortune!!). When we went to see it there were 20 people in line with deposit checks already...oh well.
ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon