IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo Wholesale Parts - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Can it be done? AC compressor removal on 960

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

sasjzl
Year and Model: 960, 1996
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
sasjzl

Can it be done? AC compressor removal on 960

Post by sasjzl » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi all,

I am so close yet so far in removing an AC compressor from my 1996 960. I have all bolts off with the notable exception of the lower right back bolt. It is free of the nut but I cannot pull it out because of a large metal bracket that is in the way. I have no idea how to get that bracket out of the way as it is buried very deep. The other bolt is the top left back bolt which I can just barely see but have no idea how I could get to with anything tough enough to remove it. I have been working from the top and mostly bottom of the car and everything else has been very easy to get to.

I am beginning to think that it is necessary to remove the steering pump and alternator to get to that upper left bolt but I do not want to do that unless it will do the trick. Even if I can get to that bolt by removing the stuff above it I do not know how I will be able to back out that bottom back right bolt.

Has anyone out there actually removed this compressor and lived to tell about it?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
1996 960

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America
JDS60R

Re: Can it be done? AC compressor removal on 960

Post by JDS60R » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Wow- its like a secret handshake - here you go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138

sasjzl
Year and Model: 960, 1996
sasjzl

AC compressor free at last, free at last

Post by sasjzl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Mr. JDS60R

Thanks be to thee in the highest. Just got back from removing the compressor after much angst over a particular captive bolt and all is relatively well now here in Mudville. The pdf helped immensely in reassuring me that those two bolts were in fact meant to be 'captive', or at least not removed, and that it would take some twisting and perhaps shouting to coax that thing out of there even after all was clear. My kingdom for the source of that pdf? I have been looking all over the net and elsewhere for a decent guide to removing and replacing stuff on my new to me 1996 960. I even went so far as to get a year subscription to Mitchell1 which I find of very little help. Where in the world did you get that stuff and where do I line up for my very own?

As far as removing the compressor on a 1996 era 960 the hardest part, after the shock of the two bolts that you cannot remove from the vehicle is the top left bolt towards the firewall. It is buried. I spent some time on various approaches to that and finally managed to get a close end 14mm wrench on there with some metallurgic persuasion. Once you break its hold it is a cinch but I was really worried about being able to get enough torque on there to break it out. There is not a log of room. One thing I can assure you off is that there is NO reason to remove the steering pump and the alternator. I was within minutes of doing that because the above mentioned bolt head was really getting me down. Finally I realized that it would not be any easier with those two pieces out of the way. I came very close to giving up but I am living proof that you can break/loosen that nastiest of bolts with a regular old closed end 14mm wrench and some determination.

Please do not hesitate to write me if you are embarking on this angst ridden removal experience.

Thanks,
Jim Lee
1996 960 Dark Blue and hungering for more miles.

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America
JDS60R

Post by JDS60R » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:36 pm

My Pleasure Jim,

The pdf came from VADIS ( Volvo Aftersales Diagnostic Information System) You can get a copy off of Ebay for about $10. I have heard that it is available on bit torrent as well. Just search VADIS on ebay and you will find it.

If you need another PDF before you get your VADIS please don't hesitate to write. It only takes a few seconds and I am glad to help.

Glad you got things working,
Best Wishes,
John

Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138

jasv
Year and Model: 1995
jasv

Re: AC compressor free at last, free at last

Post by jasv » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:16 pm

sasjzl wrote:Mr. JDS60R

As far as removing the compressor on a 1996 era 960 the hardest part, after the shock of the two bolts that you cannot remove from the vehicle is the top left bolt towards the firewall. It is buried. I spent some time on various approaches to that and finally managed to get a close end 14mm wrench on there with some metallurgic persuasion. Once you break its hold it is a cinch but I was really worried about being able to get enough torque on there to break it out. There is not a log of room. One thing I can assure you off is that there is NO reason to remove the steering pump and the alternator. I was within minutes of doing that because the above mentioned bolt head was really getting me down. Finally I realized that it would not be any easier with those two pieces out of the way. I came very close to giving up but I am living proof that you can break/loosen that nastiest of bolts with a regular old closed end 14mm wrench and some determination.

Please do not hesitate to write me if you are embarking on this angst ridden removal experience.

Thanks,
Jim Lee
1996 960 Dark Blue and hungering for more miles.
The "metallurgic persuasion" was key. Once I used a grinder to create a thin walled S wrench, I was able to get that back bolt out. Thanks for your post.

retired4now
Year and Model: 1996 965
United States of America
retired4now

Post by retired4now » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:59 am

Jim,

I too am facing the prospect of changing the A/C compressor of my 1996 960. I looked carefully from under the car and could see the upper bolt nearest the engine on the firewall side. At first I hoped it was for the alternator, but after reading your account and the "Secret Handshake" details, I am left wondering if you managed to get the box wrench up from underneath or whether you accessed it through the space between the alternator and compressor. Can you remember after all these years?

Regards,
Bruce

dm635
Year and Model:
dm635

Post by dm635 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:37 am

When I did an engine swap on my 960 it was actually difficult to remove the compressor with the engine out. Can only imagine doing it in the car. Was going to use the original compressor which I knew was good, but took a chance on the one on the replacement engine. When outside temp is below 90* it will cool to 34* while rolling. But like every volvo I've owned in stop and go traffic the cooling from the AC starts to climb.

96-964
91'745

86-635CSi 215K

Previous- 83 245T, 84 242, 85 242T, 92 960, 94 960, 95-964, 95-945