IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

94 945 Regina Non-Turbo Intermittent Idle/Start Problem

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

billyduck91
Year and Model: 1994 940
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
billyduck91

94 945 Regina Non-Turbo Intermittent Idle/Start Problem

Post by billyduck91 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi all,

Thought I would present my case here to see if anyone had a similar issue and if they fixed it. Starting about a week (23. December) ago I started the car up (cold start), and drove out of my neighborhood to a traffic light (<1 mile), and waited for the light to turn green. After being stopped for about 30 seconds, the RPMs dipped to under 500, lights came on the dash, and the car died. I couldn't get the car started again after numerous attempts. I could hear the fuel pumps turning on, and the starter would engage as the engine was trying to start, but it wouldn't actually turn-over. I ended up pushing the car back, and leaving it to sit. I tried going out to start it each day for about a week, no success.

Moving forward to today, 1. Jan, I go outside and the car starts just fine! I cautiously drive it around the parking lot, and it idles fine and drives fine. I even stop (while in Drive) for about a minute (multiple times) and the car is fine, idle normal. I have done this twice today, and it's okay, no problems.

So I am baffled as to what the problem is. Previous to this problem the car did over 6000 miles problem free in all weather conditions (excluding snow). I have read that it might be the Idle Air Control Valve, but I am not sure since the issue is so intermittent.

The work that I have done on the car in the past few months includes a new Crankshaft Position Sensor, new Bosch Plugs, Booggecord (spelling ?) wires, new Bosch distributor cap, and an oil change. Like I said the car has been trouble free for the past 600 miles, and I would like it to do another 6000 miles in the future.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Vehicle Specification:

1994 Volvo 945 (wagon)
Engine: B230F, Regina Fuel System
Automatic Transmission

Bricks_and_boxcars
Year and Model: 1990 764T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Bricks_and_boxcars

Re: 94 945 Regina Non-Turbo Intermittent Idle/Start Problem

Post by Bricks_and_boxcars » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 am

Those Regina no starts after what you describe sound much like the classic RSR death. That relay is prone to solder joint failure and yes it's easily repairable.
I didn't see a reference to it in your description though if you did check that my bad.
Do look and see if you can open the diag connector port and cycle the modes (like go from mode 1, get codes, mode 2, test mode, mode 3, manual test) on the fuel control computer. It's a Bendix box and from my experience is pretty reliable.
I've had this happen warm, the relay is the first place I head to. Sounds like you hit the rest of the major points.