IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

1997 960 Multilink Rear transverse leaf spring suspension Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

Scottyv
Year and Model: 1997 VOLVO 960 WAGON
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Scottyv

Re: 1997 960 Multilink Rear transverse leaf spring suspension  Topic is solved

Post by Scottyv » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Ok Let me update.
I have the whole system out and will post a play by play on this process when done.
I did find a Part Number: 9140471. Which I was led to believe was the stiffer of the transverse springs. With non nivomate in a wagon. The one in the car, I have reads the same and was stamped code 1, but this one is stamped code 3. not sure what that will do. ( but I am looking at some chevy 1500 coil overs that should slip right into the shock brackets for added load capacity)
Im am currently, in the process of cleaning ever thing and hunting down the repayment rubber spring perch seats, which the spring sits in at the ends of the lower control arms. Also looking for the Rubberized Anchors for the spring which hold it to the lower aluminum cast carriage. ( the original rubber parts are crumbling.)
I hope this project should come back together nicely, and also will allow me to take it all out again if needed for futer repairs of any unexpected type. .
I am Surprised at how un-accessible the rear end is unless you take all this assembly . Anyway it is out, so Im at half way, But even the oil service plug and the transmissions “w” ele lock up ele plug connect is hidden with-in this multi link assembly a-top the rear of the pumpkin out of reach. “Engineers are a sick breed.”

Ok well if any one knows if I landed the correct spring part number 9140471 let me now what you think . before I put it in , in the next week or so... But It seems that everyone who knew anything about a 1996 - 1997 Volvo 960 multilink rear suspension, is dead. To old to talk, or has been abducted by aliens.

Scottyv
Year and Model: 1997 VOLVO 960 WAGON
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Scottyv

Re: 1997 960 Multilink Rear transverse leaf spring suspension

Post by Scottyv » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Ok Let me update
I have the whole system out and will post a play by play on this process when done.
I did find a Part Number: 9140471. Which I was led to believe was the stiffer of the transverse springs. With non nivomate in a wagon. The one in the car, I have reads the same and was stamped code 1, but this one is stamped code 3. not sure what that will do. ( but I am looking at some chevy 1500 coil overs that should slip right into the shock brackets for added load capacity)
Im am currently, in the process of cleaning ever thing and hunting down the repayment rubber spring perch seats, which the spring sits in at the ends of the lower control arms. Also looking for the Rubberized Anchors for the spring which hold it to the lower aluminum cast carriage. ( the original rubber parts are crumbling.)
I hope this project should come back together nicely, and also will allow me to take it all out again if needed for futer repairs of any unexpected type. .
I am Surprised at how un-accessible the rear end is unless you take all this assembly . Anyway it is out, so Im at half way, But even the oil service plug and the transmissions “w” ele lock up ele plug connect is hidden with-in this multi link assembly a-top the rear of the pumpkin out of reach. “Engineers are a sick breed.”

Ok well if any one knows if I landed the correct spring part number 9140471 let me now what you think . before I put it in , in the next week or so... But It seems that everyone who knew anything about a 1996 - 1997 Volvo 960 multilink rear suspension, is dead. To old to talk, or has been abducted by aliens.