Seems torque converter gone . 1998 V90

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

Uree
Year and Model: V90 1998

Seems torque converter gone . 1998 V90

Post by Uree »

Hello to everyone . I posted it last week as update for topic about choosing ATF - but now i think it will be more proper to do as a new post. So... about 6 mo. ago car began make some " zooming " metal noise somewhere under tranny/engine border area ( similar to dry bearing ), at first noise periodically come and go, always on cold start... then level began to be more loudly - and after car reaches working temp it will almost gone. Tranny was worked during those challenges as like nothing is going on at all - there no any leak, no codes, ATF level is good, color is acceptable w/out burnt odor... One day, back in July, when day temp got over 100 i was driving at 50 and suddenly got CEL and blinking transmission light all over as Christmass tree... car still driving normally and gear changed as usual, coolant temp show normal temp level... I immediately slowed down and next day decided to change ATF . Checked what CEL code i have - " Generic " P0740 : Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit - So, i changed ATF with Supertech DextronIII/Mercon and take a drive for a week. Old ATF come clear,a little dark - no deposits at all . I have been read somewhere that quality and level for this particular AISIN transmission critical and can make weird noise. Noise from undercarriage almost disappeared for that week with a fresh fluid ... then slowly come back - car still driving as should and no more any CEL or transmission code. Then i decided to do ATF change one more time " just in case " - this time i put Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage. Again, noise gone for week - then back again .... AND THEN IT HAPPENED: Last Friday morning on the way home from work i stopped at the stop sign - when green lite come, released brake and pressed accelerator pedal slightly as usual ... Car began movement very slowly with some jerking and shaking - and, of course, immediately i got CEL and all transmission lights began blinking ... What a nightmare i have those morning - supposedly 20 min drive take almost an hour... Got home, tired and so-o depressed after graveyard shift and plus car still in a trouble ... - went to sleep ... Next day i checked for CEL code - sure, again P0740... Now i have to make decision : go for Volvo original torque converter (cheapest Volvo Genuine TC (9143121) price from 1200.00... ) or for some aftermarket one...research show a couple of them. Car recently turned over 182000 on clock,passed emission back in march , as all older engines - when started cold produces some " sounds " that will gone after warmed up... If anyone ever have experience with aftermarket Torque Converters, would you, please, share your story. Must make some decision asap- everything in everyday life depend on only transportation i have. Especially job. Thanks.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 »

Denver has a Transtar Industries location. They are a huge auto trans parts company and will have a TC for that gearbox. It will be remaufactured but their stuff is good and is backed. Trans shops use them. There may be other places like that near you but I am familiar with that company.

Uree

Post by Uree »

Thank you, jimmy57 , for reply. If i just have a garage and lift... Before i come to US in 1999 i worked as engine tech in Ukraine, that is part of former USSR. So many different repair situation over there in that time... During week have been send some requests to some repair services who is not to far form me ... no responds at all, and today make a call to another service - same, nothing back, which ... what next. I read about Transtar before , now your info really helpful. Just have to think of next step...

Uree

Post by Uree »

Good day to all.
Worked graveyard shift this week, as always ... not much done with car during this time , now is off and have time for ...next step...
As jimmy57 recommended - checked online catalog from Transtar Industries and did not see needed part , send e-mail just in case i missed info if they have one that i needed. At the same time i can see that Rock-Auto web page has REMAN torque converter by DACCO - did not know about this brand ... and there is company out of Florida - (
https://www.floridatorqueconverters.com ... -40LE.html ) shown there is two converters and seems both should fit ( one is mentioned as a " high stall " while other one as a " low stall ...??? ). More : brand " TORCO " - torqueconverter1.com that have one for my car at they ebay web page by # Manufacturer Part Number:V11 . ... ... and even more - https://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/TC-VO29.html ... What to choose - that will be next step, any helpful info about mentioned above sources will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 »

Dacco TCs are decent. Most reman TC units are cut open, cleaned, inspected, thrust washer or bearing is replaced, clutch lining adhesive is dissolved and new clutch lining is adhered, the pressure plate for clutch is resurfaced (sanded), and it is welded together.
TCs don't fail often other than worn TC clutch. The biggest reason they get replaced is that a failed transmission loads it with debris that centrifugal force sticks to the outer rim and it can't be washed out reliably without getting cut open.

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940

Post by 93Regina »

jimmy57 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:25 amThe biggest reason they get replaced is that a failed transmission loads it with debris that centrifugal force sticks to the outer rim and it can't be washed out reliably without getting cut open.
Last I knew, from years ago, biggest issue with used vehicles is consumers in warmer climates do not replace viscous fan clutch (if applicable), do not check fitness of electrical fan circuit (if applicable, and including ECU's temp sensor), and do not replace that plugged up radiator.

I took a high mile 1982 Chev Caprice on a 3,300 mile trip over mountain passes/etc., when it was twenty years old, and didn't have one issue, but all of the above, plus its waterpump were replaced. I did put a heavier duty viscous fan clutch on it since I knew I would be driving over several mountain passes.

Penny wise, and pound foolish...fix the cause (too much heat) before/during TC/Transmission replacement.

Uree

Post by Uree »

Replaced transmission filter . It worked - like a magic... No more noise from tranny, no more scary tranny blinking codes, no CEL warning, all gear shifted smooth and nice. I put cheap ATF for now, then late will flush it and replace with good stuff. Just dirty transmission filter, and what a story. Thank you everyone for help.