IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Fuel pumps were running continuously now won't run at all

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

Maddenkm
Year and Model: 1986 240

Re: Fuel pumps were running continuously now won't run at all

Post by Maddenkm »

Yeah, I might be willing to take that risk. But I'm gonna check out the 91 in the junkyard by me to see if I can find a newer ECU/FICM I can just switch out, but it's the only one I've found around here and it's been picked pretty clean. If I ground it to the chassis am I gonna need to add a switch so I can turn off the relay? Seems like that wouldn't be necessary since the ignition shuts off the relay and it's only the ground, but I'm not sure.
jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 »

The control modules will work from 1985 through 1988 in your car. The 91 is a different system and has more wires in the module plug so your harness will not plug into that one.
Maddenkm
Year and Model: 1986 240

Post by Maddenkm »

I regrounded the fuel pump relay to the chassis and sure enough the pumps started working, thank you! However, now I can't get the car to start. When replacing the IAC valve I removed the distributpr cap to create more room to work in, and I accidentally broke one of the plug wires pulling it off. I replaced them, but I did notice they weren't the exact same size as the old ones. Would that matter? AutoZone gave me the wrong size fuel filter a couple weeks ago so i think their database is a little off on these older models. I'm also thinking it might be a clogged fuel filter, which is basically the only part of the fuel system I didn't change. The guy I bought it from said he put a new one on when he got it, but that was about a year ago and he didn't siphon the old gas out before trying to get it started, so it could probably use a new one.