IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

1990 Volvo 740 REGINA Almost died while driving, no start.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

bknockenhauer
Year and Model: 1990 740 GL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
bknockenhauer

1990 Volvo 740 REGINA Almost died while driving, no start.

Post by bknockenhauer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:29 am

Hi All,

I've been working on a 1990 Volvo 740 Wagon, non-turbo. B230F, REGINA FI, Automatic Transmission, 276K miles that I picked up this summer. Sorry in advance for the lengthy post but I want to make sure I explain to the fullest.

Over the last few months I've been bringing this car up to snuff one thing at a time, but it's always started right up, idled at a steady 800rpm, only occasionally would the idle drop out when shifting from park to reverse, or reverse to drive. The car has never stalled since I've owned it. It's been running basically flawlessly. Daily driver, no temp issues... The only other thing I've really noticed aside from some suspension stuff is some play in the steering column, and now that it's cold I need to let the car warm up before the power steering starts working. I've replaced: timing belt and tensioner, front engine seals, oil, coolant, transmission fluid, water pump, Crank/RPM sensor, rear transmission mount, high pressure PS hose. I've cleaned the entire intake from airbox to throttle body... (I also frankensteined almost the entire interior of a 95 Volvo 940 into it save the back seats ;)

It still needs a lot of love but I can't for the life of me figure out this issue at the moment. I've used these forums endlessly for stuff and this time I'm stumped.

About two weeks ago we'd been driving about 10 minutes, and it started to sputter out, almost stalled while we were stopped at a red light. Pulled into a parking lot and i popped the hood, and the engine was shaking back and forth (left to right) more than I'd ever seen it. I let it cool off for a few minutes, started it up, and same thing. When I'd give it gas, it just felt like it was coughing, it was not revving normally. Once I'd try to put it in gear and drive it would die. Now, it's stopped starting completely. The second it feels like its going to catch, it dies with a little squeal at the end. The starter sounds like its struggling and hesitating but when i unplug the crank position sensor it cranks strong and evenly.

I started with the codes. First was the IAC valve, 233, which I removed and cleaned, and now i hear opening and closing when I run the test mode. I also tested the RS relay, fuel injectors click, fuel pump relay and fuses are both good. High Pressure in-tank fuel pump primes once key is turned.

Next I checked spark at the plug wires, and also at the ignition coil. The tester lights up. I changed the spark plugs for good measure. Popped the timing belt cover and it looked like it jumped a single tooth so I redid that, still nothing. At this point I the only other things I am thinking of trying is replacing the fuel filter, and if that doesnt do it, could this be the symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you have any questions I can answer to help narrow down the possibilities, feel free to ask away! Thanks for taking the time to read the novel I just wrote. I attached a few pictures of the engine in case someone can spot something I cant. I definitely have some extremely questionable vaccuum hoses to replace but Im not sure that would cause what I'm describing.

Cheers!
IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_0582.jpg
Last edited by bknockenhauer on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lummert
Year and Model: 760 1988
United States of America
lummert

Re: 1990 Volvo 740 REGINA Almost died while driving, no start.

Post by lummert » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 am

Check fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose for fuel smell?
1988 Volvo 760 Turbo Wagon

bknockenhauer
United States of America
bknockenhauer

Post by bknockenhauer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Yes, I smell gas in the FPR vacuum line. Changed the fuel filter this afternoon, no dice.

bknockenhauer
United States of America
bknockenhauer

Post by bknockenhauer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Update -

After cleaning IAC, replacing spark plugs, a few vacuum hoses going from the throttle body to the Evap canister, redoing the timing, changing fuel filter, and pulling the bolt in front of the Cat to make sure it wasn't plugged, yesterday I replaced the cap and rotor on the distributor, gave it a jump and it's started and running strong.

However, I am having some idling issues. ON cold start, the idle dips between 700-100 rpms about every second or so until the engine warms up, then it sits at a steadyish 800 (which is where it idled before this situation) I also notice that when I give it gas, once I release, the rpms won't drop back down, or if they do, only until about 1500 rpm. WHile I'm driving, once I apply the brake and start to slow down the rpms will drop and idleing normally while stopped.

Any ideas what to investigate next? Could this be vacuum or sensor related?

Thanks, I'm glad its back up and running but hoping to figure this out soon so I'm not stranded in the snow one day, haha.

lummert
Year and Model: 760 1988
United States of America
lummert

Post by lummert » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 pm

bknockenhauer wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:15 pm
Yes, I smell gas in the FPR vacuum line. Changed the fuel filter this afternoon, no dice.
Not supposed to smell gas in the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose. Your picture shows what is most likely an original Volvo fpr.
1988 Volvo 760 Turbo Wagon