IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

1992 Volvo 245, 317xxx km, B230F, Recurrent No start issue, cant pull codes.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

sergitin32
Year and Model: 1989 240 DL

Re: 1992 Volvo 245, 317xxx km, B230F, Recurrent No start issue, cant pull codes.

Post by sergitin32 »

​OK, this is what I did today, I got me an IPD remote start switch and my timing gun, plus a tach / dwell meter and hook it all up. Then tried to start the car. Tach was dead, light in timing gun was off. Hence we can agree ignition was a no go. Also while I cranked the engine I did notice the ignition amplifier module and the ignition coil were both getting quite hot, more than when the car idles normally which I later proved. After this, I got to the work of cleaning and greasing and resetting all the ground connections in the engine compartment. So far I did the following:
Sanded with 80 grit sandpaper everything in the connections and before resetting the screws I dab everything in conductive grease (graphite compound used in home electricity to tight aluminum and copper together) following this I did:

- 2 of them close to the battery one Phillips holding the bracket with the connection box and high beam relay and another one 10mm hex closer to the strut (driver side)... they each held 2 ground cables)
- A big one holding the main ground cable from the battery and another thinner ground cable. This one was a hex 14mm close to the distributor base. Golden big bolt. 
- Each of the injectors ground at the intake manifold top, each 10mm hex
- Ground flat thick cable from the firewall to the valves cover. If any of them would have failed this is the one I would think off, it was dirty with old oil, and the bolt holding it to the firewall was quite bent upwards, like if the engine had been hitting it hard at some point with bad rubber support. Anyways straightened the thing sanded everything and applied the conductive grease, also changed the valve cover bolt where it was tightened to one with fewer chances fo having oil leaking since its a higher one in the cover. 

Every time I did one ground I tried starting the car and the last one was the one who did it for me. Now when dealing with this one I am aware that I had to move the main harness a lot and it is the one that goes through the firewall to the ECU and ICU, so even when the car started and idled fine for a long time I have learned my lesson and tomorrow I will unwrap this harness and take a look at every cable in there just in case. I will also measure the voltage at the right pins in the ECU and ICU just to make sure ground etc are OK. I am not sure how that last ground cable issue can be connected to the fact that mi diagnostic unit was not showing codes for example. 
After idling the ignition amplifier and coil were just warm, so that was OK...

After it ran for a while I pulled codes and it was 1-1-1 in both pins. 

Will keep you guys posted if I find anything else. 
I also took a picture of my ECU and ICU and these are units with not much complains or recalls like the infamous pink labels etc. 

Thanks for reading and for offering advice when needed, I will come back and post any more findings when done tomorrow. ​
sergitin32
Year and Model: 1989 240 DL

Re: 1992 Volvo 245, 317xxx km, B230F, Recurrent No start issue, cant pull codes.

Post by sergitin32 »

Opened a bunch of the harnesses and they cables inside all look brand new. Tried to look in the most oily and hot places for degrading cables, found none. Seams 1992 was a good year fr the harness degradation problem.