Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

2009 C30 - Head gasket replacement at 90,000 miles? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
C30Vehicle
Year and Model: 2009 C30

Re: 2009 C30 - Head gasket replacement at 90,000 miles?

Post by C30Vehicle »

Need to sell, or trade-in my 2009 C30.

Just had a second opinion from a mechanic who is very familiar with Volvos. Right away, the mechanic found that the head-gasket replacement job was beyond the scope of this mechanic's experience - that is there are quite possibly additional engine problems. The cost can easily go into the thousands of dollars - hence, it's better to purchase another vehicle.

This mechanic also spoke with our local Volvo dealer maintenance dept. - the same dealer where I had purchased the C30 originally just over six-years ago.

The questions here: a.) Would a place specializing in repairs/restorations of Volvos be interested in purchasing my C30 (as-is) be the best bet? b.) What are purchase values of (as-is) 2009 C30s? c.) What are trade-in values of (as-is) 2009 c30s?

Thank-you

matthew1  
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997

Post by matthew1 »

Well, value is low in any case for a non-running car. Values for running cars are easy to come by via any number of Web sites, but there is no equivalent for non-running. "Whatever you can get" is the answer.

Call around and ask "what will you give me as trade in value for a 2009 C30 that needs a new head?" I'd call places where you'd be going anyway to look at a replacement car. Tell them this.

That said, no trauma one can do to a Volvo engine is necessarily over the head of the collective knowledge here. What did the mechanic say? Warped head and... ?
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

C30Vehicle

Post by C30Vehicle »

I have not heard any mechanic mention (or speculate) about a warped-head.

Again, the mechanic I sought a second opinion (who's had ample experiences with Volvos) was quickly able to assess pretty-much what the first mechanic (with some experiences with Volvos) mentioned - aside from having to consider another vehicle altogether.

I'me leaning on contacting the Volvo dealer where I had purchased the preowned 2009 C30 originally - at least for guidance. They may want to purchase an as-is C30 needing a replacement head.

C30Vehicle

Post by C30Vehicle »

I had a second, and third assessment from a Volvo dealer's service department. The second and third assessments found that the engine damage likely went beyond a head gasket. Hence, it would likely cost more to get the C30 fixed than the car is worth.

I was able to sell the C30 (as-is) for $750. The buyer is a mechanic experienced with Volvos - who mentioned that he wanted to invest in fixing the engine.

matthew1  
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997

Post by matthew1 »

Sorry about the situation. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]