This is a reminder to use the forum to help each other, rather than private messages. Private messages get seen by the recipient, while posts are freely readable by the millions of Volvo owners across the globe. Thanks much!

Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

2009 C30 - Head gasket replacement at 90,000 miles? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
C30Vehicle
Year and Model: 2009 C30

Re: 2009 C30 - Head gasket replacement at 90,000 miles?

Post by C30Vehicle »

Need to sell, or trade-in my 2009 C30.

Just had a second opinion from a mechanic who is very familiar with Volvos. Right away, the mechanic found that the head-gasket replacement job was beyond the scope of this mechanic's experience - that is there are quite possibly additional engine problems. The cost can easily go into the thousands of dollars - hence, it's better to purchase another vehicle.

This mechanic also spoke with our local Volvo dealer maintenance dept. - the same dealer where I had purchased the C30 originally just over six-years ago.

The questions here: a.) Would a place specializing in repairs/restorations of Volvos be interested in purchasing my C30 (as-is) be the best bet? b.) What are purchase values of (as-is) 2009 C30s? c.) What are trade-in values of (as-is) 2009 c30s?

Thank-you

matthew1  
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997

Post by matthew1 »

Well, value is low in any case for a non-running car. Values for running cars are easy to come by via any number of Web sites, but there is no equivalent for non-running. "Whatever you can get" is the answer.

Call around and ask "what will you give me as trade in value for a 2009 C30 that needs a new head?" I'd call places where you'd be going anyway to look at a replacement car. Tell them this.

That said, no trauma one can do to a Volvo engine is necessarily over the head of the collective knowledge here. What did the mechanic say? Warped head and... ?
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

C30Vehicle

Post by C30Vehicle »

I have not heard any mechanic mention (or speculate) about a warped-head.

Again, the mechanic I sought a second opinion (who's had ample experiences with Volvos) was quickly able to assess pretty-much what the first mechanic (with some experiences with Volvos) mentioned - aside from having to consider another vehicle altogether.

I'me leaning on contacting the Volvo dealer where I had purchased the preowned 2009 C30 originally - at least for guidance. They may want to purchase an as-is C30 needing a replacement head.

C30Vehicle

Post by C30Vehicle »

I had a second, and third assessment from a Volvo dealer's service department. The second and third assessments found that the engine damage likely went beyond a head gasket. Hence, it would likely cost more to get the C30 fixed than the car is worth.

I was able to sell the C30 (as-is) for $750. The buyer is a mechanic experienced with Volvos - who mentioned that he wanted to invest in fixing the engine.

matthew1  
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997

Post by matthew1 »

Sorry about the situation. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]