IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

CCM not working

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
Meggielyssa
Year and Model: 2008 C30
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Meggielyssa

CCM not working

Post by Meggielyssa » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Me: I know a little bit about my car, but acronyms related to this particular problem (other than CCM) will probably be lost on me. I have friends that can help me do some things myself, but please don't assume I know things. I've taken my seat fabric off and put them back on, replaced my rear brakes myself and done some front fender re-attachment in a few places, but my experience with dissecting the dash (which I'm told will be necessary) is non-existent!
Car: Her name is Anya. She's a 2008 C30 2.5L T5 turbo, manual 6 speed transmission, 145k miles, bought certified pre-owned in Jan '09, climate control is manual with hotter/colder, higher/lower type dials, not "please make my passenger 70 degrees and me 73 degrees" electronic buttons, but there are electronic buttons that you push to determine where you want the fan to blow (head, feet, etc.) See photo.
History of Problem: Starting around 2013 the buttons on the waterfall dash that control where air was going were not consistently putting air in the right places. It seemed like a software glitch, but usually with some turning the blower off and back on and re-pressing the buttons it would get right. Around early 2015 it was getting harder to "work around" to make the air (hot or cold) blow in the correct location.
Current Problem: In July 2015 I took it in to the dealer (it's never been anywhere else and they have not jacked me around before...) and asked them to look at it. They said they tried to re-set it several times and it won't re-set and supposedly the software was up to date. When I brought it in, it would blow cool, just not in the right places and wouldn't change. By the time I left, it would only blow hot. And I mean engine heat level hot, not just warm. They could not get any of the buttons to change where air was coming from or to let cool air in. So for the last year I've driven with the vents closed to try to keep the hot air from coming in, and the windows down. The different buttons will light up, but will not change where air is going. The dealership said the doors that open and close inside the CCM to move air to different places are electronically controlled and are stuck closed and that I will need an entire new CCM or Climate Control Module. It is a giant box that houses the entire unit that controls where all heat and a/c go. I'm relatively certain this is different than the ECM, as other electronics are working just fine. They said the part is about $1500 and the labor will be between $1000-$1500. I was just going to live with it, but now because the defrost button doesn't turn on defrost (even though I can open the vents and defrost the windshield), it won't pass state inspection. So I can't drive my car until this is fixed.
Questions: 1.) Is this fixable without replacing? 2.) If no, do I need to replace the entire CCM as they say? 3.) If no, what less expensive things could I replace to try to solve the problem and should I not monkey with it myself and instead get a professional? 4.) If yes to number 2, is there someplace where I can get a used one? 5.) What are the chances I could resolve this whole issue for under $1000 total including labor...how would I go about that?
Summary: I love the car and it has been relatively problem free except for a couple of worn out belts and things, so I would hate to part with it over this. I'm also not really wanting to deal with selling and finding something new and having a car payment. But I obviously don't want to dump a bunch of money into it if it's all downhill from here. I would love to save her and help her pass inspection so I can continue to love her. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. $3000 is just not going to happen... Thank you so much!
Attachments
c30.jpg
c30.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 465 times

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Re: CCM not working

Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:50 pm

Although I basically have the same CCM, I know nothing about these. I suppose grabbing one from a junked car (like a pull-a-part or junk yard) of similar year might be worth the effort but it would have to be "married" to your car with a software download from the dealer. I don't know what the cost would be. You might ask your dealer. You'll probably have to have the VIN# of the donor car so don't just go pull one without having this info.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo