IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Key fob issue, "Turn steering, try start again", "Brake Failure, stop safely".. related?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
meaganjoy
Year and Model: 2008 Volvo C30
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
meaganjoy

Key fob issue, "Turn steering, try start again", "Brake Failure, stop safely".. related?

Post by meaganjoy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:22 am

So I absolutely love my 2008 Volvo C30, but I've been overwhelmed by the amount of issues lately. Its at 105k miles, I've done a decent job maintaining it, I don't drive it too hard. But a few of the issues it's had:
-Key fob won't unlock doors, but will start the car. I can still unlock the doors, lock them, roll the windows up and down, but the fob doesn't work for any of this. I never got any message from using the fob in the ignition, I just am not able to unlock or lock the doors. Tried replacing battery in fob.
-Sometimes, on a hard acceleration, I'll get a message saying something about ABS (its replaced so fast, I can't read the whole thing) then it will switch to another message "Brake Failure Stop Safely" and will go into limp mode. If I disconnect the battery, wait five minutes, then reconnect, everything will be fine again.
-This morning, I tried to start the car and got "Turn Steering Try Start Again". When I put the fob in, it made a clicking noise as opposed to the regular sound of the immobilizer disengaging, and the steering wheel was locked. I tried disconnecting the battery again, this did not work. I wiggled the steering wheel side to side pretty hard, and this seemed to fix it.

My biggest question is if you all think any of these are related. Possibly something electric? I would just hate to start trying to fix these problems individually if there's a root cause. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Re: Key fob issue, "Turn steering, try start again", "Brake Failure, stop safely".. related?

Post by MadeInJapan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 am

The only time I have heard of random issues like you're getting in the notification center like this on our cars is due to a weak car battery. Check the battery and see if that might not be it. Even if it starts the car, the voltage should register near or above 13V when cranking, from what I understand.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

meaganjoy
United States of America
meaganjoy

Re: Key fob issue, "Turn steering, try start again", "Brake Failure, stop safely".. related?

Post by meaganjoy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:58 am

The battery is barely over a year old, but I can absolutely get it tested!

doublebug
Year and Model: XC90 2007 D5
Belarus
doublebug

Post by doublebug » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:40 am

"Turn Steering Try Start Again" is know to have column lock fail but in this case it is real Turn Steering Try Start Again :)
Because sometimes is fail to unlock because of some pressure. When you turn steering it managed to unlock.
Worst is when you get this message and steering wheel is not locked. That means lock is failed.
If you have questions about Volvo firmware ask me. I may know an answer :)

meaganjoy
United States of America
meaganjoy

Post by meaganjoy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:02 am

doublebug wrote:"Turn Steering Try Start Again" is know to have column lock fail but in this case it is real Turn Steering Try Start Again :)
Because sometimes is fail to unlock because of some pressure. When you turn steering it managed to unlock.
Worst is when you get this message and steering wheel is not locked. That means lock is failed.
Funny you should say that.. That happened last night, so I'm thinking the lock has officially failed now. Does anyone know the average cost to get that replaced?

mf70
Year and Model: V50 2006
mf70

Post by mf70 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:19 pm

First use VIDA to see what trouble codes were stored. The car will remember the trouble you have had. For the standard fob, there are THREE independent locking systems in this car.
  • For my 2006, the blade key will only open the door.
  • The shank of the fob is a RFID chip that will only unlock the ignition. This would explain this part: "-Key fob won't unlock doors, but will start the car. I can still unlock the doors, lock them, roll the windows up and down, but the fob doesn't work for any of this. I never got any message from using the fob in the ignition, I just am not able to unlock or lock the doors. "
  • The remote button of the fob will lock or unlock various openings. It communicates with a receiver perched above the DIM under the dashboard.
For most of the problem, I'm betting on a CEM or DIM fault interfering with that reception. VIDA will be a guide.