IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Any Suggestions on Changing Timing Belt V50 Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
kevins s70
Year and Model: 2007 XC70

Any Suggestions on Changing Timing Belt V50

Post by kevins s70 »

Hello - I am new to the V50 - just bought a 2005 a few weeks back. I had a S70 and did the timing belt on that a few times. I don't think the timing belt has been changed on the V50 and just looking for suggestions on how to do it. My initial look is that that motor mount needs to come off for access. I didn't see any write up for the V50 but am thinking the engine mounting and layout is the same as an S40? This is a none turbo
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Re: Any Suggestions on Changing Timing Belt V50

Post by MadeInJapan »

I have changed the TB on an 850 and my S70 a few times. This is a different beast. Best you get acclimated on the difference before you tear into it.
Here are a few threads from S.S. that should help. My suggestion is to read both thoroughly!
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?167605
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?180023
Frankly, the S40/V50 TB change scares me a bit....
Let us know how things turn out. Some pics and a write up would be greatly appreciated by MVS!!
-MIJ

P.S. Btw, the TB change on our cars is at 120K but to be honest, I wouldn't wait that long. I've heard of issues way before that and if you're anywhere near or over 100K miles, we're talking about an 11 year old car so mileage really doesn't matter- I'd change it yesterday!!
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo
kranz
Year and Model: '98 V70 NA stick

Re: Any Suggestions on Changing Timing Belt V50

Post by kranz »

Haynes publishes a repair manual for RHD V50 & S40. It has the TB replacement procedure complete with photos.
Les is more.
mf70
Year and Model: V50 2006

Re: Any Suggestions on Changing Timing Belt V50  Topic is solved

Post by mf70 »

I've done it. Clearances are amazingly tight. Yes, right engine mount needs to be removed, and at several points in the process you will need to jack the motor up and down for each bolt to be removed.

A point not stressed in all step-by-step narratives is the benefit of painting truth marks on both the old belt and the cogs. The marks are then transferred to the new belt. When the marks again align, you can be confident of the timing.