IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

A/C belt too tight? High Pitched squel

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
kevins s70
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
kevins s70

A/C belt too tight? High Pitched squel

Post by kevins s70 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:00 pm

I have a V50 that I just bought and just finished doing the timing belt. I replaced the alternator belt and the A/C belt in the process. To get the A/C belt on I needed to push the tensioner right back and it was still difficult to get the new belt on. I compared the new belt to the old belt and they are almost the same length. After releasing the tensioner i find the belt really tight - is that normal? I checked the tensioner on the alternator and that seems a bit looser - more of what i would expect. I also hear a high pitched squeal or tone that i think is coming from the A/C pulley and being caused by the really tight belt - Is that normal? I think I did hear this same sound before i touched anything but am really suspect now. I would have thought the tensioner would weaken with age so this doesn't make sense. Has anyone else observed this? The S40 from 2005 to 2009 appears to have the same tensioner system. Thanks in advance

mf70
Year and Model: V50 2006
mf70

Re: A/C belt too tight? High Pitched squel

Post by mf70 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:29 pm

I would have gone back in and looked for something tightened up cockeyed.

How did it turn out?

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:19 pm

Yeah- which belt did you buy? What company's belt? It seems odd but bearings going bad in the tensioner could do that too...would seem odd it happens when you put a new belt on but these Volvo's have had more than their share of "coincidental" parts failing- all of them and I don't know why.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

kevins s70
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
Been thanked: 0
Canada
kevins s70

Post by kevins s70 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:24 pm

This is what I found. I still have the high pitched squeal but i really think that was there before i touched anything. I have noticed that the squeal only occurs when idling. In gear and moving the squeal goes away. As for the belt tightness issue here is what is found. I double checked the belt (Conti) and it was the right one. The size of it matched up exactly to the old belt i took off. Even the old one takes some effort to get on - it is tight by my standards. What is found is that the new belt goes on even tighter - this appears to be due to the distance between the ribs on the belt. On the new belt the ribs are tight and does not let the belt fully ride down on the pulleys. I suspect with time the belt would soften up but this appears to be the only difference between the belts. As i indicated even the old belt was tight by my standards to get it on.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:43 am

Only in gear...hmmm Is yours a manual transmission or automatic?
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo