IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Chasing a P2187 engine code

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Chasing a P2187 engine code

Post by MadeInJapan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 am

I have been having issues with the check engine light occasionally popping on. Although I don’t feel a whole lot of difference in the way the car is performing I feel possibly the turbo is not as responsive. I reset the light and things are fine for a week or two and then the light comes back on. IIt is usually after a turbo boost and just coasting or right after starting the car and idling. It is always P2187 (lean condition at idle- bank 1). So finally this weekend I started investigating, as the trouble code was coming back on more more often. I looked on several sites including here but found very little. There were however several posts regarding this code on Swedespeed- several people who wrote that this is code is caused when there is some type of vacuum leak between the throttle body and intake manifold. 1. It could be caused by a leak in the brake vacuum line or 2. it could be a leak at the juncture of the air control valve right at the base of the turbo, or 3. it could be right past the oil filter/PCV module in our cars where there is a one-way valve and hose entering the intake manifold. When I looked in the last place I found a broken hose with a piece of tape around it cinched up with plastic zip ties- something apparently the previous owner had done over 1 1/2 years ago, or the dealer did in Dec 2015 when they swapped out the PCV/Oil filter module. Amazing!! This was an easy fix that only cost me a couple bucks for the hose clamps, because Autozone gave me the little piece of fuel hose. Pictures are in reverse order of finding the tape hose, taking the tape off and seeing the crack and then the new hose and clamps which was the final fix!! I have driven the car now for a good bit and no check engine light or that code (finger's crossed, but I think it's repaired!!). Btw, that little piece of hose from the dealer is outrageous!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

Markni12301
Year and Model: 2003 S80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Markni12301

Re: Chasing a P2187 engine code

Post by Markni12301 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks for posting this! It inspired me to look more closely for cracked hoses and sure enough, mine was cracked in the same place on the S80 engine. Swapped it out for $6 and haven't seen the code come up yet. I can't believe I hadn't noticed it before. Thanks again.
20181111_141930.jpg
20181111_141324.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Chasing a P2187 engine code

Post by abscate » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:55 am

Closing loop on this thread

My99 T5 had a poor cold idle issue , chug chug chug,which would settle into good running, no codes.

That same pipe from the intake manifold to the purge valve was completely disintegrated into two open strips of rubber. On the P80 it dives down under the manifold so the two ends look perfect , the middle was crumbs

I'm convinced these cars need complete removal and replacement of the vacuum hose every10 years for the PM model of running
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary