IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

AC cuts out

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
buffalo-s60
Year and Model: S60

AC cuts out

Post by buffalo-s60 »

2009 s40
ac cuts out after about 1/2 hour run time. the clutch does not try to engage but I do not think it is the clutch itself.
after the car is off for about 10 min it will work again...
air out of vents is fairly cool. suction pressure when idle running is about 35 pisg. suction pressure when ac is off is about 85 psig
sorry I have no high side pressures at this time..
any suggestions....
thanks in advance for any advice
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: AC cuts out

Post by oragex »

buffalo-s60 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:43 pm suction pressure when idle running is about 35 pisg. suction pressure when ac is off is about 85 psi
Do you mean the 85 is when the engine is running but the a/c clutch has disengaged? Or when the engine is off?
jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 »

Worn clutch leading to excessive clutch that is too much for hot magnetic winding to pull in is VERY common on all P1 models.
10 min off is long enough to let the winding cool.
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Post by MadeInJapan »

There are several temp fixes for this. I used bread ties on earlier models with good luck. I'm thinking that fix would apply here too. Just do a search for it and you'll find it- common fix many know about. If you can get small zip ties around the portion that has holes in it, that would actually be a little more than a temp fix.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo
buffalo-s60
Year and Model: S60

Post by buffalo-s60 »

it has been a long time now, here is what I did and it still works. pulled the clutch ground down a little bit at the base of the seat ware it slides in. now the plate is very near the magnet,, has worked great ever since. !!!
better details,,, when I pulled out the center bolt and removed the clutch plate their was a section that slid inside with the center bolt going though it. like a piece of pipe or hollow shaft.... I ground off about the thickness of a quarter. off the end of the shaft. now it slides in about the thickness of a quarter further bring the plate"... " closer together !!!! worked amazing...
only difficult part was pulling the plate , it came out stubborn... after I did it I saw their is a free rental for a puller.... LOL
HONESTLY this is a GREAT FIX
Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5

Post by Cees Klumper »

There's a less "Flintstone' approach I just did on my 2008 C70, which is to remove shims from underneath that exact location you ground down, that act as spacers underneath the center bolt to regulate the clutch gap. I measured the clutch gap at .6 mm; spec is between .3 and .5, so the magnet had too much distance to bridge and was no longer able to actuate the clutch. It just stopped working one minute to the next and cooling off etc had no effect. Quick fix that worked was the bread ties.
I too had to borrow an AC clutch puller, and once off I found 3 shims: .5 mm, .15 and .20. Removed the .15 and .20, re-installed the clutch and new gap is .25 mm, slightly tighter than spec, but spinning free and now AC is once again perfect. Also charged with a bit of freon.
MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5

Post by MoVolvos »

Cees Klumper wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:10 pm There's a less "Flintstone' approach I just did on my 2008 C70, which is to remove shims from underneath that exact location you ground down, that act as spacers underneath the center bolt to regulate the clutch gap. I measured the clutch gap at .6 mm; spec is between .3 and .5, so the magnet had too much distance to bridge and was no longer able to actuate the clutch. It just stopped working one minute to the next and cooling off etc had no effect. Quick fix that worked was the bread ties.
I too had to borrow an AC clutch puller, and once off I found 3 shims: .5 mm, .15 and .20. Removed the .15 and .20, re-installed the clutch and new gap is .25 mm, slightly tighter than spec, but spinning free and now AC is once again perfect. Also charged with a bit of freon.

Hi Cees Klumper, I'm new the my 08 C30 T5M although I've had it for about half a year. Haven't looked at where the compressor is also. Weather started to warm yesterday and the compressor cut out for about 5 minutes during driving. Can you tell me if this what you did with your car in the video link. Thanks.

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion
Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5

Post by Cees Klumper »

Sorry for very late reply, yes, this is exactly what I did. Make sure you measure the existing gap with feeler gauge, and the shims with a micrometer to make sure you get to the spec gap. Good luck,
MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5

Post by MoVolvos »

-
Cees Klumper wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 pm Sorry for very late reply, yes, this is exactly what I did. Make sure you measure the existing gap with feeler gauge, and the shims with a micrometer to make sure you get to the spec gap. Good luck,
Thanks Cees Klumper. I will be tackling this in two weeks when my son starts summer vacation. Gramps purchased the C30 for the two grand kids to learn the clutch (not AC, of course :roll: ) and the younger decided he wanted the C30 and his older brother didn't mind :D.
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion