IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Some questions about the waterfall dashboard in Volvo S40 II, V50, C30, C70

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
Rossosaurus
Year and Model: 2007 S40 Mk2 1.8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
Rossosaurus

Some questions about the waterfall dashboard in Volvo S40 II, V50, C30, C70

Post by Rossosaurus » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:06 am

I've just finished getting my 07 S40 II back in working order and I'm now looking into upgrading the sound system in it. Specifically adding aux input or bluetooth so i can listen to my music on my phone as although my car is an 07 it was manufactured in january and is actaully registered as an 06(56 reg in UK) so it doesnt have the AUX built in. I've just had the display out to take a look at the sockets and am aware that mine is using the fibre optic unit and I'm also aware of the GROM unit you can by to add the support i want but before i delve into buying one I have a few questions about the unit first.

Firstly is this the best option to go down and if so which one should i get? There are of course the ones GROM sell directly but I feel like they're a bit expensive at over 200 quid a pop. Ebay however have some that look almost exactly the same but at under half the price.

Secondly from the install video GROM provide when they show the unit working and changing the mode the radio is on the display flashes with a mode selection screen with AUX and CD available for selection. My car only has the option to change to the CD player. Also if he has the AUX option why is he installing the GROM unit? Does this mean that I am incapable of using the GROM unit and if so is it possible to upgrade the firmware of something so that i have that option? (Even thoguh the guy seems to select the cd player option and not the aux mode anyway)

The other thing is if the bloke selects the CD player and not the AUX mode does that mean that i cannot use the CD player while having this unit installed? It's not a big issue if i can't but i would be handy to be able to use the CD player if i forget my phone or it dies as most of the good stations went digital or online (looking at you kerrang).

If you need images of my dash variant i can post them

Thanks

jtopiso
Year and Model: 2009 C30 2.0i
Spain
jtopiso

Re: Some questions about the waterfall dashboard in Volvo S40 II, V50, C30, C70

Post by jtopiso » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:45 am

Interesting topic, as I have the same radio.

My understanding is that once you put the GROM, you have to disable the CD. Also, depending on how your ECU was programmed at the factory, it can be open to new hardware (as the GROM), or maybe it is not. If it's not, your new (and expensive) installed GROM won't be recognised by your car unless you "enable" it at a Volvo dealer (or someone with the oficial hardware and software).

So (again: my understanding) you pay for the GROM (or equivalent), you do the wiring, you pay Volvo to enable it, and after all you have an aux input but no CD.

I think this happens in all the models with hands-free bluetooth and without Aux input. The system seems to be able to handle 3 inputs (BT, CD and radio), and to install the GROM one must go.

If you find a decent solution, please share.

Regards,

JT

jtopiso
Year and Model: 2009 C30 2.0i
Spain
jtopiso

Re: Some questions about the waterfall dashboard in Volvo S40 II, V50, C30, C70

Post by jtopiso » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:33 am