IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Having a key made

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
ktklobe
Year and Model: 2006 S40 T5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ktklobe

Having a key made

Post by ktklobe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 am

I’ve looked through the threads so if I’ve missed this, please let me know. 06 S40 T5 with two working key FOB, yet no physical metal key inserts. Has anyone had a key made for their car? Is this a dealership only option, or can a locksmith accommodate? I’m hoping to not spend a large amount of cash if not needed... also, my drivers side controls(locks, windows and mirror) have become intermittent with the cold weather? No fuses are/get blown and it resets itself after a few clicks on the fob. The passenger side has had zero issues. This is what’s prompted the whole key concern. I’ve checked the fuse box and anybconnections I can find anywhere, nothing seems loose.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: Having a key made

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am

The door lock not working with the remote fob sounds like the mechanism is sticky. Mine doesn't like being manually locked (by pushing down on the actuator at the bottom of the window). If I do that, sometimes it won't work next time I try to work it with the electronic controls. So long as I don't touch it, and only use the electronic controls, it's fine.

For the ignition key - if the lock cylinder was replaced and merely the original key blades don't match the new lock cylinder - the fobs you have will have a transponders that are already programmed to the car, you just need new key blades cut. Many better locksmiths can cut the key blades if you have the documentation that came with the new lock cylinder.

The transponders are contained in the ~1/2 inch bit of black plastic which contains the hinge/spring mechanism for the key blade 'flip' mechanism. This is removable from the part of the fob that contains the remote control buttons. If those are not 'original' the transponders encased within the key head won't be programmed to the car and you're looking at either a dealer or somebody/locksmith who is set up to perform Volvo programming which requires opening an account with Volvo. Which does cost more money.

ktklobe
Year and Model: 2006 S40 T5
United States of America
ktklobe

Post by ktklobe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm

We bought the car used. The previous owner said they only had the two key fob when they bought it. I have no idea if the cylinder was replaced? I’m guessing from your message that there is a transponder in the actual key blade? If so, looking like a dealer item...ouch.

MRScott
Year and Model: 04.5,05,06,2011
United States of America
MRScott

Post by MRScott » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 pm

The metal part in the fob can be replaced through the dealer. They will need the VIN number and were about 25.00 each.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:53 am

The key blade, which is stored in the fob, is for
1. To lock/unlock the driver's door
2. To lock/unlock the glove compartment
3. For valet locking
Starting the car is not on the list.
pg88b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold