IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

No fuel pressure at Rail. Replaced fuel pump. Swapped PEM, fuel pressure sensor, relay. Checked CEM, all connectors.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
davhaney
Year and Model: '94 850. 05 S40+XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
davhaney

No fuel pressure at Rail. Replaced fuel pump. Swapped PEM, fuel pressure sensor, relay. Checked CEM, all connectors.

Post by davhaney » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Car: 2005 Volvo S40, 5Cyl Turbo engine B5254T3. Quarter tank of gas.
Problem: Zero fuel pressure at the rail, zero trace of fuel. Immobilizer is not activated, car will fire on starting fluid, but not otherwise. Display says "Reduced engine performance". You can hear some noise from the fuel pump, but no pressure is generated.

Actions taken:
  • Inspected all fuses on CEM. None are blown.
  • Swapped fuel pump relay on CEM. No change in behavior.
  • As far as I know, this model has no fuel filter to change (I have 68 in VIN)
  • Swapped PEM with junkyard PEM. Connectors look clean. No change in behavior.
  • Swapped PEM with known good PEM. Connectors look clean. No change in behavior.
  • Swapped fuel pressure sensor with known good sensor. Connectors look clean. No change in behavior. 
  • Replaced fuel pump. No change in behavior.
  • Removed CEM, sent to XeMODeX in Toronto for testing. XeMODex reports 100% of test cases passed. XeMODex confirmed immobilizer is not activated. No services required. Reinstalled. No change in behavior.
  • Cleaned all harness connectors facing CEM with contact cleaner and compressed air. Reinstalled. No change in behavior.
  • Cleaned all harness connectors facing ECU with contact cleaner and compressed air. Reinstalled. No change in behavior.
  • Checked and cleaned fuses on under-hood fuse box. No change in behavior. 
  • Cleaned harness connector facing under-hood fuse box with contact cleaner and compressed air. No change in behavior.

Context:
  • The vehicle died on the highway one cold day. Restarted after several attempts at cranking. After making it to the destination, the car started again without issue and driven home. It has not started since then.
  • The alternator is under a year old, battery is under a year old.
  • Four years ago, the car flashed "reduced engine performance" on the dash (ecm-941d) but no action was taken, and has had not recurred (this incident notwithstanding).
Observations:
  • Zero fuel pressure at the rail.
  • If I apply 40psi compressed air through the schrader valve, it does "hold" the pressure as you would expect it to hold fuel pressure. 
  • The mechanic who replaced the fuel pump thinks he also can hear the pump activated, and says looking into the tank, you can see the fuel being disturbed by movement. I have not attempted to confirm this.
  • When cranking, sometimes the starter seems to cut out for a moment and re-engage. I do not remember this behavior in the past -- although I've never had 30-second cranks before either.
Looking for advice on next steps:
I know I need to get my Dice unit up and running again, and look for faults there. Any other ideas? I am a regular lurker here, but rarely post. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rvolvos
Year and Model: 2006 xc70
United States of America
Rvolvos

Re: No fuel pressure at Rail. Replaced fuel pump. Swapped PEM, fuel pressure sensor, relay. Checked CEM, all connectors.

Post by Rvolvos » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:44 pm

When I replaced my timing belt I pulled the fuse from the fuel pump to turn the engine over some more. Put the fuse back, car would not start. Check the shader valve and no fuel pressure. Checked Vida and there was a code present related to fuel pressure. Erased the code and the car started right up.
Check for codes to begin with. Good luck.
These users thanked the author Rvolvos for the post:
davhaney
2006 XC70 2.5T 190k
2006 V70 2.5T 152k
2011 C30 T5 AW55-50SN 99k
2011 C30 T5 M66 66k

davhaney
United States of America
davhaney

Volvo Repair Database Re: No fuel pressure at Rail. Replaced fuel pump. Swapped PEM, fuel pressure sensor, relay. Checked CEM, all connectors.

Post by davhaney » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:51 pm

I have my DiCE up and running. Cleared all codes, the following appear after cranking:
  • CEM-3A07 - Fuel pump faulty signal
  • ECM-291B - Fuel pump control module - Signal Missing
Will follow up with checking all ground connections, check for open circuits, and swap fuel pump relays. More to come.

davhaney
United States of America
davhaney

Re: No fuel pressure at Rail. Replaced fuel pump. Swapped PEM, fuel pressure sensor, relay. Checked CEM, all connectors.

Post by davhaney » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 pm

Following up: I cleaned all chassis ground connections, then disassembled and tested the fuel pump relay. The contacts were tarnished/burned - I cleaned them and re-assembled. The car regained fuel pressure and started.

I suspect the failing fuel pump caused excessive current or maybe arcing across the pump relay. Hence swapping the relay before replacing the fuel pump didn't help. This is my working theory anyway.

I have since replaced the tainted relay - no need to tempt fate here. Hopefully these notes will be of use to someone in the future.