IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Need help or advice on '11 xc60 rear end fix or replace.. Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
The Blue Whale
Year and Model: 06 xc90, 2011 xc60,
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
The Blue Whale

Need help or advice on '11 xc60 rear end fix or replace..

Post by The Blue Whale » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:16 am

My 2011 xc60 awd developed on roaring noise in the rear end that is really loud around 40 mph. I was hoping it was a wheel bearing, but not. Its coming from the rear differential and I understand that's where the viscous coupling is. My repairman says he cannot find the part he wishes he could replace individually, but all of his people he buys from wants to sell the entire rear end to him. I'm looking at a 2300 dollar repair (at least) if that's the route taking. Questions:

* Is this the route to go, or there something we are overlooking? The repair guy owns a business that works on Euro cars and has worked on our other Volvos in the past so I'm pretty certain he knows where the noise is comming from.

*Is the rear end thing a problem in the volvo awds?

*Can I get a high mileage rear end from a salvage and be confident it is not a xc60 rear end reoccurring problem with these cars?

* Is there something I am overlooking in maintenance of the rear end that can possibly prevent this?

The Blue Whale
United States of America
The Blue Whale

Re: Need help or advice on '11 xc60 rear end fix or replace..

Post by The Blue Whale » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Since no one has replied that this is a reoccurring problem or that it is a familiar problem, I can feel confident in replacing with a high mileage salvage rear differential. If any one has a reason that I shouldn't, feel free to reply. I am still open to all opinions and suggestions. thanks for any help.

FLXC90
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5
United States of America
FLXC90

Post by FLXC90 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:39 pm

Any news? Thank you for sharing your experience. In other Volvo's the cause might be traced to use of mismatched tires, or lack of maintenance. Depending on where your noise is actually coming from; VC/diff, bearings, maybe just that item can be changed despite having to purchase entire assembly.

Current Volvos:
1998 V70 T5, 112k sat 5 years, still in mechanical coma (finally at the top of the pile )
2004 XC90 T6 AWD: 186k, 60 on transaxle ( traded in )
1998 POS70 N/A: DD/training aid, 236k but really about 240k, I think...ABS module( passed on to son who sold it)

The Blue Whale
United States of America
The Blue Whale

Re: Need help or advice on '11 xc60 rear end fix or replace..  Topic is solved

Post by The Blue Whale » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am

It's the differential. My mechanic put his scope on it to make sure that's where the noise is coming from and it was. Now I'm going to try to talk him into replacing the bearings or maybe he knows some around here where I live that works on differentials.

The Blue Whale
United States of America
The Blue Whale

UPDATE

Post by The Blue Whale » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Update on repair. My mechanic who usually does my repairs diagnosed it correctly as bad bearings, but he didn't do rear ends. He did direct me to a truck repair place that worked on differentials. The owner really didn't wont to fool with it especially after he couldn't find any "Volvo" bearings and only could only find the info on replacing the entire differential. I had to talk him into taking a look inside and explained to him that I swear its the same as a Land Rover which he could get bearings for. He kept it a couple of days and when I went to check on it, I ended up talking to the guy who actually does the work. He said he had actually done this to a Land Rover a few years ago. He seemed pretty confident about doing it and was really surprised at some the quotes I had gotten about having to replace the entire unit. I feel so much better now. A HUGE shout out to this web site for saving thousands of dollars.

The Blue Whale
United States of America
The Blue Whale

Post by The Blue Whale » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:15 am

Another update. The mechanic told me when, I picked my car up, (and its fixed) that every time he talked to a volvo dealership mechanic when he was looking for the seal from volvo and some fluids, they would always tell him the rear end can't be rebuilt, and has to be replaced. He would tell them, "the dang you say, I'm doing it right now". He has talked to some other local mechanics that have told xc60 owners the bad news of replacing the entire rear end and they are going to send the work his way. Win-win for everyone.

RickyRic
Year and Model: 2010 XC 60
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
RickyRic

Post by RickyRic » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:24 am

I know this post is from a while ago. I need your help. I'm having the same issue with my 2010 XC 60 differential. The dealer want almost $6,000 to replace it, with a new one, and they said it can't be repair. How did your repair is working on your car so far? I'm looking for a mechanic to see how much it would be. I'm in New Jersey USA. Are you near my area so I can take it to where you took your vehicle? How much did you end up paying for your repair? I would like to have an idea before I start getting quotes. Please let me know when you get a chance. Thank you.

MrBreeze
Year and Model: 2010 Volvo S80 3.2
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MrBreeze

Post by MrBreeze » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:51 pm

There is an entire thread about XC70's having this issue. There is someone that is rebuilding these for around $1500, if you search that section you will find it and him, he has been doing it for years now You send him your old differential and he rebuilds it. Yes Land Rover has a kit and Volvo does not.