IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Any concerns about using jumper cables?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
ericy
Year and Model: 2015 V60

Any concerns about using jumper cables?

Post by ericy »

Yesterday, I got called from someone who had a flat battery, and they wanted me to come by and give a jump with my 2015 V60. I was reluctant to do this as I was concerned that this can cause weird electrical issues in the car (perhaps even blowing out something or another along the way, which would lead to expensive repairs).

There was another car there that we used instead, so it turns out that I didn't need to take any risks with the Volvo.

But the question remains - are there valid concerns about using jumper cables on these cars?
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: Any concerns about using jumper cables?

Post by oragex »

By all means I have the ignition key in position II (headlights will be on). Just read few days ago someone who jumped it's volvo without the ignition key, and got in trouble. Not sure if this is still a concern on the newest 2010- models

Of course, volvo is one sensitive woman when it comes to electricity, so I keep well the alligators from touching anything around, I always keep them in hand so they stay separate until properly connected. I've jumped mine several times without issues