IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Hard start/no start

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
patmoore72
Year and Model: Volvo 2002 S60 T5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
patmoore72

Hard start/no start

Post by patmoore72 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:00 pm

I have a 2002 S60 T5. Get a P0336 OBDII code and won't start/very hard starting. After removing the crank posit sensor, I discover there is a gash in the bottom of the sensor. When the car does start, it runs great. This car has a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and sensor. Also has new camshaft pos sensor. Sometimes even with the damaged cps, the car will start and run normally. I have put a new starter on it also, and a new battery. I have checked the reluctor disk for anything sticking out that might damage the cps. I have checked the resistance and voltage on all the cps units that I have taken offd and they all check oput fine. Ideas?

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Hard start/no start

Post by RickHaleParker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Ideas?
  • Wiring and connectors.
    Signal interference
-----------------------------------------------------------

P0366= ECM-5200 Engine speed (RPM) sensor.

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information

Condition
The control module calculates the number of teeth on the flywheel using the engine speed (RPM) sensor. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-5200 is stored if the control module detects at least one tooth too many (Signal too high) or one tooth too few (Signal too low).

The control module detects the position of the flywheel for top dead center (TDC) using the signal from the speed sensor. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-5200 is stored if the control module is unable to detect top dead center (TDC) on the flywheel (Faulty signal) or if the reference position for TDC is missing sporadically (Signal missing).

Substitute value
  • The control module uses the signal from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor if the camshaft position (CMP) sensor has been adapted
    Variable valve timing control is blocked
    Engine speed (RPM) is limited.
Possible sources

Signal too high:
  • Signal interference.
Signal too low:
  • Incorrectly installed engine speed (RPM) sensor
    Defective flywheel or ring gear.
Faulty signal:
  • Signal interference
    Contact resistance in the terminals
    Incorrectly installed engine speed (RPM) sensor
    Intermittent faults in the wiring for the engine speed (RPM) sensor.

Signal missing:
  • Signal interference
    Contact resistance and oxidation.
Fault symptoms
  • Engine difficult to start
    Poor drivability.
--------
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package.
Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000.
Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0.
Platform P2 2004 S60R, B2524T4, AW50/51 AWD, B8444S TF80 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, BorgWarner K24 turbocharger. V8 conversion in progress.