Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2010 XC60 3.2 starter issues- not remote start related Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
khohler
Year and Model: 2010 XC60

2010 XC60 3.2 starter issues- not remote start related

Post by khohler »

Well this is a bit embarrassing, but I have no idea where the starter is on my XC60. It is a 3.2, and I pulled the air box and inlet tubing out and cannot find the starter for the life of me. I want to know exactly where it is and whether it is a project I can undertake myself or if I should have it towed in.

Symptoms were 2 clicks when the start button was pushed. This happened at work and a mechanic there gave me a jump and that did not fix the problem. He checked the battery and it was at 13V after the jump attempt. No warning lights on the dash even after the failed start attempt. I'm pretty sure it's the starter (hence the post) but is it possible it is something else? And why can I not find any information about the XC60 starter online? Is it's location a closely guarded state secret?
jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Re: 2010 XC60 3.2 starter issues- not remote start related  Topic is solved

Post by jimmy57 »

The starter is 180 degrees off from where it is on the white engines. It below and behind oil pan (actually where you'd look for it on a Ford or Chevy with fore aft engine). The starter solenoid can cause this as can brush wear particles clogging the end of the starter. The brush particles keep the brushes from making a good connection and the ground of solenoid is made through brushes and motor windings back through ground brushes. If it is the solenoid the end of starter will have scant brush dust inside. The splash pan below engine keeps you from seeing it without removing it.
khohler
Year and Model: 2010 XC60

Re: 2010 XC60 3.2 starter issues- not remote start related

Post by khohler »

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'll get it towed home tomorrow and dig in then.