IPD sale Volvo Parts

Smartphone Addiction

Non-car talk is a place to talk about topics that are not related to cars or MVS.
Forum rules
Disallowed: religion, race, politics, war and disrespect toward others.
Allowed: history, computers, sports, movies, careers, art, music, relationships and the ten million other topics in our lives. Act like the adult you are. Enjoy.
93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940

Smartphone Addiction

Post by 93Regina » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:47 am

Aug. 9 (UPI) -- A 69-year-old Taiwan man has become a local celebrity
after being spotted around the city playing Pokemon Go on 11
smartphones mounted to his bike.
Chen, who said he sometimes stays out until 4 a.m. hunting for
Pokemon, said he became hooked on Pokemon Go after his grandson showed
him how to play in 2016.
...The dedicated player said his habit costs him more than $1,300 each month and he is considering expanding his rig to be able to play on 15 phones simultaneously.

145express
Year and Model: V70
Denmark

Re: Smartphone Addiction

Post by 145express » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 am

People should chill with the smartphones in public, seriosly that is too much! :-)

soulsurfer84
Year and Model: 2016 Volvo XC70
United States of America

Post by soulsurfer84 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:34 am

What an expensive habit.

Mistres
Year and Model: 1990
United States of America

Post by Mistres » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:15 am

Addictive behaviours are way more common now than before I think. Not just smartphones/social media. I have a gambling-addicted brother which really is a huge pain for our family. Well, I myself sometimes like to browse through poker room promotions and spend some time playing but I won't ever give more than a few bucks at a stake and he already lost about 30k.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 am

Mistres wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:15 am
Addictive behaviours are way more common now than before I think. Not just smartphones/social media. I have a gambling-addicted brother which really is a huge pain for our family. Well, I myself sometimes like to browse through poker room promotions and spend some time playing but I won't ever give more than a few bucks at a stake and he already lost about 30k.
We're exposed to a lot of options when it comes to addictive behaviours compared to before. Also companies have become very good at creating addictive products intentionally.

The human mind and our vulnerability to it probably hasn't changed.

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940

Post by 93Regina » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 am

Rattnalle wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 am
The human mind and our vulnerability to it probably hasn't changed.
noun: gratification - pleasure, especially when gained from the satisfaction of a desire.

Btw, rides use to cost less, before cellphones:-)

Cite
img.jpg
img.jpg (163.85 KiB) Viewed 95 times
Last edited by 93Regina on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:53 am

I could rant but it would be wrong. I don't sit bored in a waiting room, I pull out phone and look at youtubes or browse videos of puppies or kittens or horses. I drift cars around cones or jump balls over hills and then make snarky comments on Facebook. Hat photos aren't big enough to allow full appreciation. If I know I need to look at TFL I have to bring my tablet with me........
Seriously, those guys could all be browsing the Uber and Lyft type apps for rickshaws or looking to see if Amazon or GrubHub have some deliveries they can make. There are a bunch of people making a living in a bunch of ways with connections over phones these days. I had a guy come by my place to get photos for insurance company I moved ranch policy to. He drives Uber and Lyft, runs a limo company and takes photos for a service called WeGoLook. His trip that day was a limo run to an office, a limo run to airport, then log in and find a ride on Uber, then no Uber so he found a rider on Lyft that took him out in the boonies. He logged into WeGoLook and found photo set request and called me to see if there was anyone home and then came here and used phone and the directions on the app to get the needed photos.