IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Coronavirus Thread

Non-car talk is a place to talk about topics that are not related to cars or MVS.
Forum rules
Disallowed: religion, race, politics, war and disrespect toward others.
Allowed: history, computers, sports, movies, careers, art, music, relationships and the ten million other topics in our lives. Act like the adult you are. Enjoy.
volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Re: Coronavirus Thread

Post by volvolugnut » Tue May 12, 2020 8:27 am

volvolugnut wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:02 am
More statistics on US states and COVID-19 growth rates. My raw information is from Worldometer. Any errors or misrepresentations are my own.

These tables show all available US states and territories and the COVID-19 data for the last 5 days. I have sorted the states alphabetically and added growth rates for last several days for all states with ranking of each day. Of course, this information changes daily. I have presented the table in two parts because of the screen shot, but it is actually one table in Excel.

Again, results change daily.
State growth rates for May 11, 2020. All information is based on reported information and actual results may be different.

For your information, the top 5 states or territories yesterday in growth rate (the worst containment) are: Minnesota (0.139) with 11,799 cases, South Dakota (0.100) with 3517 cases, Tennessee (0.076) with 15,544 cases, Texas (0.064) with 40,855 cases, and Kentucky (0.062) with 6677 cases. States in Bold have reopened to various levels. Minnesota has been in the top 5 for the last 15 days. I have attached a graph for Minnesota 5 Day Moving Average Growth rate for early April to yesterday.

Worldometer https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... rus-cases/ has started to add state curve information to their website.

A column on the right shows the current growth rate divided by the 5 day moving average. Montana was over 2.00, but has had no new cases in 3 of last 5 days.

My calculated growth rate for USA is 0.0177 for yesterday, down from previous day of 0.0198. This is not population or case number weighted. Overall, US is improving, but there are areas of rapid growth.

volvolugnut
Attachments
Minnesota GR 051120.JPG
Minnesota GR 051120.JPG (78.72 KiB) Viewed 210 times
State Growth 051120 A.JPG
State Growth 051120 A.JPG (240.91 KiB) Viewed 210 times
State Growth 051120 B.JPG
State Growth 051120 B.JPG (213.35 KiB) Viewed 210 times
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

subzerocarfanatic
Year and Model: 2000 Volvo C70 HT
United States of America
subzerocarfanatic

Post by subzerocarfanatic » Tue May 12, 2020 8:47 am

So sick of coronavirus statistics, it is so over inflated and blown out of proportion to bring us to our knees.There is reason for concern,I simply stay home,I have been out once or twice in 9 weeks,but I do not have the luxury that the average person does.

subzerocarfanatic
Year and Model: 2000 Volvo C70 HT
United States of America
subzerocarfanatic

Post by subzerocarfanatic » Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am

My question is, since you see more and more every day about statistics and numbers and graphs, how trustworthy is this info we are using, when they are doing all they can to jack up the numbers of corona virus statistics, there is so much money in aid for treating this so they are now calling most everything corona virus. The numbers and statistics have one purpose, though it should be to raise awareness and educate people but it seems there is a more sinister reason at play, to scare people, more funding and on and on.

Sveedy
Year and Model: 96 850 Turbo
United States of America
Sveedy

Post by Sveedy » Tue May 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Well I really don't want to get in trouble AGAIN, but I would think that all of this is pertinent to the discussion. After all, the social/political impact of this virus will probably be greater than the virus itself. With that in mind, my concern is that trumps only way to win, at this point, is to paint the Dems as being too radical. We already hear the " They want to take away your cheeseburgers etc " line of crap. So we can not let them add " They don't want you to go to work so you can provide for your family, or go to restaurants, baseball games, concerts, church, the beach, parks, etc. But they do want you to wear masks like they do in China, stand in lines everywhere you go, be tracked by your phone and spied on by drones ! But I want you to be free blah blah blah ". That will be the message that they push toward independent voters in November, and it might just work, so that has to be kept in mind while we work on ways to get through this.

Also, being a child of the sixties, I have been involved in more demonstrations that I care to, or can, remember. One thing that we were aware of was outside agitators. They were used to infiltrate the groups and appear to be with them. One of their main goals was to push other people in those groups further than they would normally be willing to go. So get into a peaceful demonstration, start flipping cars and starting fires, so then the whole movement would be looked at in a bad light by the general public on TV. " Meanwhile the agitator slipped away, job well done. I have no doubt that some will use a 21st century tech version and try and do the same thing this time. So be aware.
The DJT-45 virus will undoubtedly do greater and longer lasting damage to our country than the Corona virus.
" There is enough in the world for everyones' needs, but not enough for everyones' greed. "
Gandhi

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 pm

I'm going to de-sticky this thread in 2 days. Not because the danger is gone, but because everyone who wants to know about this thread does know about it.

You can bookmark it, or find it in General Chat forum, or simply rely on your browser's URL bar auto-predict to get to it.

The thread is not going away. The only change will be it will no longer appear at the top of the forum index pages.

Thanks,
MGMT
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post (total 2):
subzerocarfanaticJune
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

Phainein7
Year and Model: 1993 940
United States of America
Phainein7

Post by Phainein7 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:27 pm

Sveedy wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:44 pm
...only way to win..
There are "dedicated" voters who vote for a single party, and there are party "swing" voters who will sometimes vote for a person(s) running in opposing party. And then there are independents. So, for those with a mind to choose a candidate, they generally vote for a person for one reason or another when voting. I think its too early to predict...
===================================

Dr. Mike Ryan on "herd immunity". He's Irish, so he tells it like it is Listen.
=====================

Virus Hunters Find Coronavirus Clues in Sewage

Wastewater analysis could provide an early warning of the spread of
the new coronavirus.

Even before it was confirmed by medical tests of infected individuals,
the story of the new coronavirus in the city of Amersfoort was being
recorded in water.

Scientists from KWR Water Research Institute in the Netherlands
detected genetic traces of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in wastewater samples
from Amersfoort's sewage treatment plant on March 5, a day before the
first confirmed case of Covid-19 in the city. Covid-19 is the disease
caused by the virus.
========================================

We all go astray in different ways. Libertarian minds are especially vulnerable to the following circular reasoning: government solves nothing, therefore if someone alleges a problem only government can solve, either the problem doesn't exist or the "solution" doesn't work.
====
@burgessev

Sen. Paul leaves coronavirus hearing and tells cameras: "here's the
other question and this is unprovable. I think New York would have
lost the same amount of people whether we did anything or not"

"A lot of what happens with the virus is independent of what
government does"
====================

A Colorado Restaurant Hosted A Crowd On Mother's Day. It's Now Been
Closed Down

Public health officials closed a restaurant in Castle Rock, Colo., on
Monday, one day after its owner hosted a Mother's Day event in which
the entire dining room was open to seat customers --- most of whom
weren't wearing face masks.

Hundreds of people visited the C&C Coffee and Kitchen on Sunday, with
some praising its defiance in allowing people to eat breakfast
burritos and drink coffee at tables despite broad restrictions that
limit Colorado restaurants to carryout service. Images from Sunday
morning show the restaurant had a line of people at the door, with a
crowd inside.
================

Phainein7
Year and Model: 1993 940
United States of America
Phainein7

Post by Phainein7 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:38 pm

subzerocarfanatic wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am
...jack up the numbers of corona virus statistics
Like Red states report less, and Blue states more?

I'd say look around the world for stats...it surely can't be a global conspiracy. Even those in WH suggested China under reported.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Tue May 12, 2020 7:47 pm

Sveedy wrote:
The DJT-45 virus will undoubtedly do greater and longer lasting damage to our country than the Corona virus.
Oh hell yes. For many susceptible to DJT-45, a vaccine is not doable and a cure is not possible.
--------
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package.
Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000.
Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0.
Platform P2 2004 S60R, B2524T4, AW50/51 AWD, B8444S TF80 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, BorgWarner K24 turbocharger. V8 conversion in progress.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Tue May 12, 2020 8:12 pm

Sen. Paul leaves coronavirus hearing and tells cameras: "here's the
other question and this is unprovable. I think New York would have
lost the same amount of people whether we did anything or not"
Asinine. In NYC we built three hospitals and filled them at the peak. We increased bed capacity by 50% and used them all. At the peak 1000 NYs died every day, now we are down to only 200 per day.

Do nothing .....smh
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Wed May 13, 2020 1:08 am

Sveedy wrote:
I didn't perform my Civic Duty in the last election nor the previous 2. One could easily say the BHO-44 or GWB-43 virus... However, I think there are more silent Voters whose checklist tips one way or another rather than having the 45-44 or 43 Virus.

We all carry virus and germs which can kill us if our bodies aren't able to keep it in check. Why one senior facility or one part of the country has more hot-spots in all reality can't be fully understood as everyone interprets the vast amount of new data differently. Though most people are healthy I am sure each of us have a weak area in our system.

Just be thankful the Flu or COVID has not caught up with us and whether it's the 43, 44 or 45 Virus it has not cause most people to go to the deep end. If anyone has they should talk it out with someone or seek professional help. Why give someone the power to rob us of our mundane everyday enjoyment of life?
Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion