Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Low battery mode Reduced Engine performance. help please.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

SvenHoek
Year and Model: 2008 xc70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
SvenHoek

Low battery mode Reduced Engine performance. help please.

Post by SvenHoek » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:35 pm

HI guys, I just completed replacing a few engine mounts on our 2008 xc70 3.2 Awd.
I had to remove the battery to access the engine mount supporting the transmission located under the battery tray.
Also I replaced the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail. This involved releasing pressure on the high pressure valve (passenger side) and removing/replacing the sensor (left).
The high pressure valve plastic cap's threads stripped upon reinstall. ( i have a new valve on order).
The car was running fine before despite engine vibration and a periodic check engine for the fuel pressure sensor. VidaDice had record of multiple histories of this sensor causing a CEL which were deleted (by previous owner/tech).

I reinstalled the battery and the car started up fine, I let it run a few minutes and shut it off.
Several hours later it would not start and the message "Reduced engine performance" was visible on the gauge cluster, followed by "low battery mode".
VidaDice indicated a throttle body error. ECM-P211800 throttle actuator control motor current range/performance.

Is there a simple throttle body adaption process necessary when reinstalling a battery?
I'm familiar with VW where the key needs to be in accessory mode for 30-45 seconds while the TB adapts. It is an audible high pitch whine followed by a click when complete.

Would these issues arise due to the high pressure valve cap not being present? ( the part is back ordered for several days so I'm troubleshooting in the meantime).
This part (I only need the black plastic end): https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/prod ... 50960.html

I charged the battery overnight and the car will start now with a very rough idle.
I'm not 100% certain if the battery is compromised somehow. Before I put my charger on it, the battery was reading 9v through VidaDice which makes no sense to me. All I did was take it out and put on my work bench for a night.

Also: on the ground wire for the battery there is a smaller wire with a yellow end. I don't recall if this was attached to anything before removal and I can't find anything it should connect to. Possibly just a ground option for aftermarket applications??

The current status of the car is this:
Battery charges up to 12v. I put the key in accessory mode thinking perhaps the Throttle body would need an adaption after battery hookup ( just a guess ), The car started and ran at perfect idle for 2-3 mins. Then I shut it off.
20-30 mins later, I restart the car and it immediately throws a CEL, has bad idle, "Reduced engine performance" Code, followed by "Low battery mode".

VidaDice is not showing a code for the fuel pressure sensor now.

Thanks for any assistance.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Low battery mode Reduced Engine performance. help please.

Post by RickHaleParker » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:00 pm

I'm thinking your battery is on it's last leg. How old is the battery?

Disconnecting battery.
1. Ignition off, POS 0
2. Wait 5 minuites, insures the control modules store their data.
3. Disconnect Negtive cable.
4. Disconnect Positive cable.

Reconnecting battery.
1. Positive cable.
2. Key in POS II, This force the modules to initialize when power is restored.
3. Negative Cable.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

SvenHoek
Year and Model: 2008 xc70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
SvenHoek

Post by SvenHoek » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:21 am

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't suspected the battery because due to the fact that I snapped the high pressure valve torx and the code for the throttle body I got through Vida seemed directly related to that. I'm new to Volvo. Most of my car wrenching experience comes from late 80'sthrough early 2000 Volkswagens....
The battery is November 2016 which to me, doesn't seem to be too old.
I made several attempts to charge the battery. Each time it was brought up to enough charge to start the car. Once each time. Then a CEL with "reduced engine performance", followed by "low battery mode".
I used a spare battery I keep on a tender for another car which I hardly drive.
The xc70 starts up fine with this battery and I have no codes through VidaDice related to the throttle body or fuel pressure sensor now.
I have not yet driven the car, I want to wait for the valve to arrive.

The battery didn't seem like the culprit to me due to my having damaged the valve and getting a TB code.
(the high pressure valve is ordered).
The car wasn't having any issues starting before I did these mount replacements.
A replacement battery will be purchased today and hopefully the valve will arrive soon.

The only other recent work that has been done was flushing 3x and refilling the transmission fluid. I followed the procedure in this link and used my VidaDice to set the fluid level.
I hadn't mentioned this because it doesn't seem related to a no start. The car was driven without incident several times after the refill was complete and no indication of any transmission issue resulted when scanning the car.

Thanks again for the reply.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 am

SvenHoek wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:21 am
The car wasn't having any issues starting before I did these mount replacements.
A replacement battery will be purchased today and hopefully the valve will arrive soon.
Your statement "Before I put my charger on it, the battery was reading 9v through VidaDice which makes no sense to me. All I did was take it out and put on my work bench for a night" indicates the battery has a freaking high self discharge rate.

The control modules are picky about the voltages.

If you put the old battery on float charge for weeks or months it might come back to life.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold