IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Tailgate will not open on 2009 XC 70 3.2

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

cscollins
Year and Model: 2009 XC70 3.2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cscollins

Tailgate will not open on 2009 XC 70 3.2

Post by cscollins » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:47 am

I realize this is not a "new topic", but in the archives I don't see anything to answer my question. The tailgate is stuck in the closed position. When I try any of the ways to open it (fob, dash button, or handle), it makes an electronic click-clunk that is audible. I removed enough of the trim to see and get a hand in where the motor(s) and cables are. The bottom cable that goes from the center motor to what looks like another motor toward the right side of the car seems to have broken away from a clip/mount near the center motor. Working with info from the archives I unhooked the yellow clip which holds the top cable from the switch at the top of the tailgate. I've tried pulling and pushing these cables and pushing the fob button in every combination possible to get the tailgate open, and I've been unsuccessful. If there is anyone who knows which cables should be pushed or pulled in what combination or how I can get the thing open at all, I'd be very appreciative. It seems like if I could get it open and take the trim off, I could figure out what needs replaced or repaired.

pierremcalpine
Year and Model: V40 2003, V70 2010
Canada
pierremcalpine

Re: Tailgate will not open on 2009 XC 70 3.2

Post by pierremcalpine » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:15 am

wow, what a royal pain. You may need to get someone at your local dealership to give you some advice. Have you tried pulling on the cable while someone else presses the button? Just a guess.

cscollins
Year and Model: 2009 XC70 3.2
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
cscollins

Post by cscollins » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:15 am

Thanks. Yes I have tried pushing the top cable and pulling the bottom one at the same time. There is a notable click and the bottom cable comes out another 1/8 of an inch, but that's it. I guess I will take it in though it makes me feel defeated (and poorer).

pierremcalpine
Year and Model: V40 2003, V70 2010
Canada
pierremcalpine

Post by pierremcalpine » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 am

damn! I hate admitting defeat! Have you tried spraying some lubricant in the assy and then seeing if it makes a difference...not sure this will help...good luck! There was a thread out there regarding someone who had to take the tailgate off forcefully...I will see if I can find it. The dealership ended up doing it and it did require damaging some parts...

kahl
Year and Model: 2000V70XC
United States of America
kahl

Post by kahl » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:34 am

On my 2010 XC70 3.0 my hatch would not operate. When the key fob was pushed the hatch latch would would actuate but there was no lifting motion happening. I could hear a pump motor sound but no vertical movement from the tailgate. There are two hydrolic hoses (P/N 31218396) from the pump in the drivers side wheel arch going up the hatch pillar to the actuator for the hydrolic ram in the roof under the headliner. These two 8mm black plastic hoses had been kinked leading to cracks in both hoses. The trim covering the wheel arch, hatch rear pillar and drivers side head liner will need to be removed and or dropped to have access to all of the components. Replaced hoses and refilled the hydrolic fluid and system works.