IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Power Liftgate Latching Problem

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

moeman600
Year and Model: 2008 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
moeman600

Power Liftgate Latching Problem

Post by moeman600 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:39 am

Hey Everyone,

The problem I'm having is that the latch motor on our 2008 XC70 won't actuate when the lid is closed. Press the button and it closes all the way, and if you didn't know any different you'd think it closed. However, having heard the motor cycle for several years as the final step, we know its not working right. Lately its also gotten very finicky when trying to open. A few months ago the first issue we noticed was that it would abort the close. I think I diagnosed that one to the handle getting stuck, so sprayed some lube up in there and seemed to go away for a while. Then this motor issue started. I ripped apart a lot of the trim, tried activating the latch with a screwdriver and the motor cycled every time without fail. I'm guessing my problem is

1) Something to do with the sticky handle, and/or
2) The relative positions of the latch and striker have changed so the motor isn't getting the signal to activate
3) Motor/latch mechanism has worn to the point that the activation point has changed

Thanks for your help!

moeman600
Year and Model: 2008 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
moeman600

Re: Power Liftgate Latching Problem

Post by moeman600 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Ok, so I tore into it today and was able to figure out a fix. Playing around with it, I found that if I very gently closed the liftgate, the latch motor would actuate properly. If I slammed it hard, or let the liftgate motor do the closing then it wouldn't latch properly. My assumption was that it was overshooting the sensor. I loosened the two striker bolts and attempted to move it forward, but there was no adjustment left in the forward direction. So I took the striker off, enlarged the holes in the direction I needed to move, and re-installed. In the end, I moved it about 3mm forward. Works perfect so far.