IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

97 V70 Front passenger speakers not working

How to integrate your phone into your Volvo's audio. Which speakers to buy to replace old ones. Recommended head unit brands and models... This is where we talk watts, ohms, GPS, iPod integration, component installation, tips, tricks and advice for making your Volvo's audio, video, ticket avoiding and mapping gadgets work better than ever... iPod, XM, GPS, DVD, Speakers, Amps, Radar Detectors
Goupil
Year and Model: 98' V70 2.5T
France
Goupil

97 V70 Front passenger speakers not working

Post by Goupil » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I got a 97 V70 a few weeks ago, and just noticed the front passenger speakers aren't working: having never messed with audio stuff, I don't know where to start the troubleshooting.

The car has a SC900 with the Dolby Prologic
The front passenger door, the dash and the dolby speakers aren't working at all (no buzzing or anything). Center and rear are fine

The previous owner added 2 speakers in the boot with some janky wiring :? I removed them to fit a full size spare wheel

Could all three speakers be dead, or it sounds more like a connexion issue ? What should I check ? I'm not sure what to do since there's so many wires, and getting to the dash speakers seems quite hard :P

I have a multimeter and I'm not scared to take panels off, I just need a tool to avoid breaking clips

Thanks for your help :)

1998 Volvo V70 2.5T manual 193hp - 312 000 km

JakeDreamy
Year and Model: N/A (for now)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
JakeDreamy

Re: 97 V70 Front passenger speakers not working

Post by JakeDreamy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Hello, Goupil! Were you able to find out by now as to why the front speakers weren't working?

Goupil
France
Goupil

Post by Goupil » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm

Nop I haven't got time to work on it, might give it a look this week end.

Goupil
France
Goupil

Post by Goupil » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 pm

I had some free time this afternoon, so I started troubleshooting.

Dolby speaker looks dirty but fine
The reading seems legit
I've checked the wires going from the head unit to the speaker, continuity is okay. Not sure what's wrong with this one :?

Door speaker on the other hand was showing open circuit. After further inspection it appears that one of the wire broke
I'll see if I can fix it because I'd rather spend my money on mechanical parts right now :P

The dash speaker seems quite a bit harder to reach, I'll give a look at this one another day