IPD sale Volvo Parts

Windscreen Glass, Pilkington or PPG/PGW? Topic is solved

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Volvo Repair Database Windscreen Glass, Pilkington or PPG/PGW?

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:55 pm

I know this has been lightly discussed before, but not necessarily to make a comparison between these two.

A modest/out of view crack from a rock hit a year ago on my factory windscreen decided to to start growing long and ugly (and probably illegal) a couple weeks back.

Sought out 2 independent local installers: 1 is a referral through an acquaintance who works in used car/auction business, 2 is 'glowing feedback' on google/yelp etc. and listed as a certified installer on Pilkington's web site.

Installer 1 quoted with PPG glass for $205 (Aaron Auto Glass, Chicago)
Installer 2 will install Pilkington for $300-even (Franks Auto Glass, Chicago).

I'm under the impression issues with the rain sensor possibly not working as well with PPG is 'old news' ie, maybe 10+ years ago their glass didn't play nice with rain sensors, but this may not be the case with new glass installed now. Someone scream at me if they know otherwise.

The only thing I gather is that Pilkington might be 'softer' glass. Is this true, from a practicality standpoint what does that mean, exactly? One is more likely to crack rather than pit or is more easily scratched while cleaning or vice versa?

Any insight would be appreciated. $100 difference isn't that terribly much, but I'm not into unnecessarily burning money if both are virtually identical for all intensive purposes, or if it's comparing an apple to an orange and the rain sensor works fine with either...

BTW I'm avoiding safelite. And Geico. Who will insist I use safelite then not pay for a penny of it anyway (deductable exceeds cost of replacement). A cash quote from SL's site was higher than either of these two and wouldn't disclose who makes the glass. So be gone with both of them I say. I know June will agree.

-Brian

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America

Re: Windscreen Glass, Pilkington or PPG/PGW?

Post by June » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:21 pm

June agrees 100%. I hava a rock hit and my S80 needs a windshield too. My dealer won't install a windshield so I have just left it. I will order a Volvo glass and sealer no matter what it costs once I find the right installer.

PPG used to make Buick glass and paint back in the day, so I recognize that brand. Volvo glass is my choice naturally. I will be curious to read the responses. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

mrbrian200
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Factory glass comes from Europe on cars assembled in Europe. On mine it is from Splintex-Italy with a Volvo logo above it. Glass from that manufacturer would now be tagged "AGC". Needless to say we can't get our hands on that there here in the states unless it's used glass off a salvage car. I've seen varying references to 'dealer glass' aka, branded with the Volvo logo above the actual manufacturer name, sold as replacement glass through Volvo NA, can come from one of several suppliers (including both of these I believe) depending on model/year.

I'm in Chicago for the next 3-4 weeks. They can ticket it when the crack obviously invades the driver's line of vision (it's borderline). So I don't want to put it off beyond the end of this week. If there isn't a 'glass guru' floating about who can articulate a solid case for installing Pk over Pittsburg I'll save the hundred and report if there are problems with the rain sensor that don't resolve with a new adhesive pad.

mrbrian200
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Small little update on this: After more extensive research I've come across more than one instance of people who have had Pilkington ARG installed recently and weren't happy (pitted badly) after a short time of a few months/couple thousand miles. I'm a little put off by Pilkington's *two* sites implying differing grades/quality/features (basic or clear advantage line) of their ARG windscreens yet providing absolutely no way for the vehicle owner to verify what a particular installer is quoting or installing, which put their customers pretty ripe for the picking with regards to 'bait and switch' tactics. Nowhere do they state that their replacement glass matches factory spec glass. Except for their clear advantage line, they throw about terms those terms that mean little to nothing in and itself, like "OEM" and 'meets federal standards', which is a pretty low bar. My thoughts: If they stop short of stating it's "OE"/ factory original quality then it's probably not. Even in the clear advantage line their claims are written somewhat vague so that you can't hold a stick to them if you aren't happy with it.

PPG/PGW on the other hand, although they don't advertise different grades of replacement glass, are at least willing to state (from a legal standpoint) that their replacement glass matches or exceeds original equipment quality with regards to safety and optical quality. A basic claim Pk stops short of saying. I cannot find one instance were vehicle owners who had PPG glass installed came back later to say they weren't happy.

So PPG it is!

June
United States of America

Post by June » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Please keep this thread updated for a couple of months letting us know weather any pitting or any problems arise and of course your initial satisfaction with the optical quality.

I am facing the dreaded windshield replacement and I was unaware a dealer glass would not be the identical Volvo European glass. So reading your above post I would not be objectionable to PPG.

I talked to my parts guy and he said my S80 by vin has the heat reduction windshield at just under a grand for the glass. Apparently they came plain and with a heat reduction option. Dud you run into that on your quest? I have not a clue what that means, but I can say I never feel the need for the sun visor to be down. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1996 960 ordered

mrbrian200
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:11 am

No mine doesn't have the UV/heat block option. I'm not sure it was offered as an option on the S60. Your windscreen with that option is likely to be more pricey. I'm not surprised it's upward of $1000 for dealer glass. Something to consider: dealer glass usually is same specs as factory glass although it will usually come from a different factory.
Some aftermarket replacement glass can also match factory specs, but much of it doesn't. Aftermarket glass from PK may or may not be the same as factory equipped or dealer glass from the same company. Its a quagmire to sort through with glass makers not wanting to disclose much.

mrbrian200
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:05 am

Interesting. Windscreen ordered through PPG/PGW came. Installed this morning, picked the car up this afternoon. $20 more through PPG, the glass is made by FYG/Fuyao DOT 459 AS1 and "solar tint". Doesn't say PPG or PGW on it anywhere.

Slightly lower price windscreen they had on the shelf that I looked at last week was also Fuyao, but the fonts looked different. And I think it had a different DOT#.

A little googling... some Volvo branded glass from dealers comes from Fuyao DOT 459. Note, the DOT number points to the exact factory where it was made.
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... Windshield
I don't see any 'bending' at the edge that they were talking about on their S40. I looked and looked while driving the couple miles back through town. Frankly, the glass looks flawless. No waviness or ghostly apparitions.

I haven't tested the rain sensor yet. I've read that doesn't always work right on the first try and sometimes you have to try carefully remounting it with a new adhesive pad or clear silicone.

Anti reflective properties seems to be better than the factory glass (Which was Splintex): Zero reflection of the dash on the inside of the windshield. The factory windscreen reflected it a little.

The car is noticeably quieter: engine noise is much less. Looks identical to the factory glass from inside and out, except it doesn't say "VOLVO" on the RH corner.

I'll report if there are wind noise issues on the highway that have been reported with some replacement glass (couple weeks out).

mrbrian200
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:17 am

Another strange thing.. Not a single Volvo dealer in the greater Chicago area has those clips for the exterior trim moulding, you know those breaky ones. Tried Orloff. Super nice people, but no plastic trim clips in stock. The parts guy checked nearby dealers...None in stock at any dealer in the entire Chicago area. There's like 8 or 9 dealerships LOL. Champaign IL...Fort Wayne IN...Milwaukee WI, Kalamazoo MI all 2 or more hours away yes yes yes..

FYI the installer didn't break any of these, a couple of them were damaged by a body shop in Indiana two years ago after a minor collision. The glass techs seemed expressly familiar with the car. I think mentioned doing several Volvo windscreen replacements each month.

The trick to releasing the black clips along the roof top that don't slide to release with a plastic putty knife like the front ones do, is with a paint can opener. Work the hook end, hook 'up' under the flexible plastic flap, then gently press in on each end of the clip while pulling gently up on the trim molding to release the clip without breaking the tabs or pulling the clip apart. Nice.

June
United States of America

Post by June » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 am

Just as a note to anyone replacing their windshield opt for the optional heat reduction windshield if available. In looking into exactly what windshield my 04 S80 has and according to my vin at my dealer it is equipped with the heat reduction windshield optional glass. The difference is quite noticeable.

In my My car I never feel the need to use the sun visor or sunglasses even driving into morning sun. I am in a 2018 XC90 service loaner which clearly has a plain windshield and even with the visor down the morning light bothered my eyes on my normal morning drive. Also the feeling of heat from the sun shining in and dash top temperature is drastically hotter.

It's a option I didn't know my car had, but really works good. I don't see why all windshields are not this way??? June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1996 960 ordered

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940

Post by 93Regina » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:41 pm

June wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 am
optional heat reduction windshield if available
3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series

NOTE: Auto tint laws vary by state or province. Please check your local laws or ask your dealer installer for films that meet your local tint laws.