IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo Forum Rules: Read Me First. (Yes, You)

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Just PM us with the URL of your post and we'll gladly delete or move it. Otherwise, searching all over the forum for it is a waste of time and sometimes difficult.

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

peffley
Year and Model: 850 T5 1997
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
peffley

Re: VOLVO FORUM: Read Me First (Yes, You.)

Post by peffley » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:43 pm

I realize this is an old thread but I read it and soon thereafter noticed something that relates. Abbreviations.

I think sometimes when one gets to writing in a post or a post "conversation" it may be easy to forget that others (possibly many others) may be reading the text for years to come and may not "automatically" know certain lingo or abbreviations.

For example (and just as an example) in this post: "VOLVO FORUM: Read Me First (Yes, You.)" I am not sure of the abbreviation "PM". It probably means Post Message but again, just an example and I'm sure there's some old guy out there scratching his head not knowing it's meaning

Another example from this post: "850 140k Major Maintenance", there are a few references to a "DW" which is a place to buy parts. I am trying to become familiar with these places and the only (good) place I know of so far is: "IPD" a.k.a. IPDusa.com.

Hope I'm not sounding like a jerk...just thought it would be a good addition to the list of things to remember when posting.

-Peff

P.S. Come to think of it, a Glossary Page might actually be a really good idea! It could be a constantly updated list of abbreviations (and maybe terms) as well?

DeRail
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 760GLE 1988
DeRail

Post by DeRail » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Nice idea peffley,

PM is short for Personal Message, just a way of sending a message to a particular person on the board without publicly doing it (sort of like an e-mail). I could have sworn there was a similar thread kicking around with a glossary of terms, I'll see if I can't dig it up...

Darrell

BoomerSooner
Year and Model: 2001 S80 T6
BoomerSooner

Post by BoomerSooner » Sun May 31, 2009 10:34 pm

Great Site and Forum!

Thanks!

Recently purchased my first Volvo, a 2001 S80 T6. Love this car! Fun to drive and looks gooooood..... :D

Boomer

EddieH
Year and Model: 1995 850
EddieH

Post by EddieH » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi,
Just joined this GREAT site after several months of lurking. Wonderful place here. Lots of useful info. Currently, I own a 1995 Volvo 850 (non-turbo) that my wife drives. It has roughly 185,000 miles on it. Although it is starting to show its age, it is still a very dependable car. Hoping to pass it down to my step-son when he starts driving.
Eddie

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Welcome. I'm glad you made the jump from lurker to member.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

coppertop
Year and Model: S60, 2002
coppertop

Post by coppertop » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:01 pm

I just bought an '02 S60. This site was very helpful to me in researching before the purchase, and I expect to visit on a regular basis as I tend to do my own maintenance, and found good information here whilst I was lurking. Thanks! (I'll be sure to use the Amazon link for you)

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks in advance, coppertop. The Amazon link brought in almost $200 last month, which means I have more time to work on the site, which means a better MVS for everybody.

Everyone: I'm working on tightening up the code currently to make pages load faster. Plus a few design tweaks to make things easier for us users, plus updated forum software.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

RobTheModd
Year and Model: 98 S70M - 18 S60
United States of America
RobTheModd

Post by RobTheModd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Hey Matt is it just me or has the forum REALLY picked up. it ust to be a few of the same guys posting, and occasionally a new person because they were in the WTF MY VOLVO IS EATINGME HELP mode.
Its nice to see, but poor ozark is getting a work out. lol.

Anyways, Keep up the great work! This is the only site I come to for help with my volvo.

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks Robb. Yea it is picking up. Lee told me he was enjoying life too much... so I turned up the traffic :twisted:. It's great for me because the more traffic = more income, and more income = the more I can work on making the site better, faster, more organized. Which I enjoy far more than doing client work.

Thanks for being a member.

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]