Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

Cancer/illnesses, and caregiver, support thread

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
gnalan
Year and Model: 2001 S60

Cancer/illnesses, and caregiver, support thread

Post by gnalan »

Can this be stickied for anyone wanting to post, and to make it easier to find?

I'm starting this thread so that we can all come together and have a place to talk, vent, and support each other.

It's for those with cancer/illnesses, caregivers that help/helped take care of a loved one with cancer/illnesses, and want/need a place to give/get support.

No bashing, harassment, arguments, or anything else that's not helpful.
2001 S60, B5244S, AW-55/50, FWD
Cancer/Illness/Caregiver Support Thread

gnalan

Post by gnalan »

My fiance was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer. She had surgery to remove half of her thyroid, and after the pathology report came back they found cancer all the way to where they cut to remove the right half. Tomorrow she goes back for surgery to have the left side removed.

She's only 30, and has a lot of different health issues. One of which led to the CT scan where the tumors on her thyroid were found, by accident, thankfully. I'm not sure they would've found it any other way, which makes things even scarier. We still aren't sure if the cancer has spread from somewhere else, or to anywhere else, but we're hoping after the rest of her thyroid is removed that we'll have more answers.

She's a type I diabetic, has tumors on her liver, and a tumor in her brain (all benign the last time they were checked), among many other health issues. Those have been enough to deal with, and then finding out she has thyroid cancer has left us both overwhelmed.

We're trying to get things ready for tomorrow's surgery, and I'll add more when I'm able to including some of my own illness battles.

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70

Post by volvolugnut »

That is a lot to deal with, especially when she is so young. I hope she has good insurance coverage. Let us know how surgery goes.

Also, let us know if the Volvo needs other parts. My take off pile is growing.

volvolugnut
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

gnalan

Post by gnalan »

Surgery went well, and the anesthesia wore off faster than last time. She was actually able to sit and talk after recovery, without nodding off like she did after the last surgery she had.

They kept her overnight to make sure she was ok before sending her home. Not sure what happened during surgery, but after she woke up her right leg was completely numb and she couldn't walk too well. It was still that way Tuesday night, and she ended up falling trying to get out of bed to go to the bathroom.

Her blood glucose kept dropping, too. It dropped below 40 while we were eating dinner on Tuesday, and had to give her an emergency shot of Glucagon. A couple of hours later it dropped down below 50, which I wasn't expecting especially after eating and taking the shot of Glucagon. Finally got it to climb back up to her normal range, but it wasn't easy. Still having trouble keeping it under control. Since her thyroid was completely removed it's been at both extremes, either way too low or too high.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997

Post by matthew1 »

Sounds promising, gnalan. (I can never keep track of who uses their real first names here, apologies if you do, I'm not trying to be rude when I use forum usernames.)

Cancer took my best friend from HS/college, a father of four, and is now trying to take a local friend here in Denver who has Stage 4 lung cancer. I'm not even 50, and it's taken its toll on my peers and their families.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

gnalan

Post by gnalan »

I lost a friend from high school to non-hogkins lymphoma when he was only 21. My aunt passed away from breast cancer, my grandma from colon cancer, and my uncle from testicular cancer (he was 53). I took care of my grandma, and my uncle, all the way to the end.

There's nothing worse, that I've seen, than watching someone slowly dying from cancer and not being able to do anything to stop it. Plus the smell of death, even long before it happens, along with the "death rattle" breathing, are just things that stay with you forever. I'm really hoping my fiance doesn't get to that point, and that she'll go into remission instead. I don't think I could handle watching that happen to her, but I'm not going anywhere either. All we can do is hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

gnalan

Post by gnalan »

It's been a rough day today. We're both stressed out over everything going on. With the frustration of my car not running right, again, my fiance's incision becoming infected and oozing pus so bad that it's almost pouring out, plus all the pain she's in and not really being able to keep it at a comfortable level that she can tolerate, today's been one of the toughest days so far.

There's so much going on this week that I can't keep track of it all. She has another surgical procedure on Wednesday, Dr appts almost every day, with some days having more than one appt, and trying to figure out rides to and from all of her appts since my car doesn't want to run right.

We're both physically, mentally, and emotionally drained to the point that we're barely sleeping at night, and end up passing out, basically, during the day just to get a little bit of sleep.

I know nothing in life is easy, but we would both love a break from everything even if it's only for a day. Is that really too much to ask for?

I know I've mainly been the one posting in this thread, but I started it for anyone and everyone that wants/needs a place to let things out, and to support each other. Whether that be for advice, just someone to listen to you, or to find someone to talk to about what you, or a loved one, is/was going through.

volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut »

Does anyone in Ohio have a reliable vehicle they can loan gnalan?

That is certainly a very bad day and very rough week coming. Hang in there.
volvolugnut
2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

gnalan

Post by gnalan »

volvolugnut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:22 pm Does anyone in Ohio have a reliable vehicle they can loan gnalan?

That is certainly a very bad day and very rough week coming. Hang in there.
volvolugnut
As much as I appreciate the kind gesture, I can't accept a loaner vehicle. With the way my car is, and between her appts and mine, I don't know how long I would need to use a loaner vehicle.

The surgical procedure for Wednesday got moved due to the infection in her neck. Her surgeon called her in today for an emergency visit to make sure the infection hasn't spread, and that she didn't need to be hospitalized. It was a last minute, rush to get there, appt that she was able to get a ride to. I wasn't feeling well all morning, so I wasn't able to take her. I was able to mess around with the car a little, but I'm not sure if it did much to help anything. (It did seem to run somewhat better afterwards, but I won't know exactly how well until I drive it to and from my appt tomorrow.)

The surgeon ended up draining a lot of the infection out of her neck, and sent home some wound supplies to help get rid of the infection and help the incision heal up. She goes back on Friday for a follow-up to make sure it's going away. She's been on an antibiotic since surgery, so I don't know how/why it got infected like it is. The first surgery went smoothly, besides the bad anesthesia part of it, and the second seemed to have gone just as well. Neither of us were expecting this to happen.

I didn't get much sleep last night at all, and I ended up passing out sitting on the couch for an hour and a half (while trying to read the first post on here about the signs of a bad/failing ETM and MAF). I'm still exhausted, and could easily fall back to sleep, but then I wouldn't sleep at all tonight. I don't like doing that because I get tired while driving, and I have been close to falling asleep while driving more times than I can remember. It's more like passing out than it is falling asleep, and sometimes I can feel it coming on and sometimes I can't. It's scary! I was driving my dad to an appt a couple of years ago, kept drifting in and out, and had to pull over so he could drive the rest of the way. As soon as I sat down in the passenger seat, and put my seatbelt on, I was out before he even got the driver's door closed. I'm trying not to get back to that point, because she can't drive, and I don't want to cause a wreck that'll hurt/kill anyone.

What I need more than anything is a full night's sleep, a break from everything going on, and a chance to recenter myself, without needing to be hospitalized again.

volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut »

XeMODex has an ETM diagnostic flow chart here: https://xemodex.com/us/diagnostic-flow-charts/

I have used it to determine mine was bad.

volvolugnut