IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

confused about which diagnositc tool to get

How to buy, install and use VIDA, VADIS, DiCE, VMWare and all the questions and answers that come with these tools.
amblerman
Year and Model: 1999 s70
United States of America
amblerman

confused about which diagnositc tool to get

Post by amblerman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi folks.

I have a 99 s70 (+ 2004 toyota sienna, and 2006 honda accord).
btw. I will be referencing VIDA/DICE below. I know those won't work with my non-volvo cars.

Right now I have a generic OBDII tool. It was about $50. It does a great job of reading OBDII codes and clearing the codes.

However, it's basic. I can't read live data. Even if I could the screen is tiny and basic so the live data graphs wouldn't be usable.

So I started thinking about a more comprehensive tool.
That has led me to starting to research VIDA/DICE and/or some more expensive generic tool.

For example, some of the iCarSoft tools claim they work with Volvo specific codes. But I don't know what that means.

Does it mean?
a) it does everything VIDA/DICE do?
b) can be used as a generic OBDII tool?
c) can handle things like Volvo Airbag lights. (but not full diagnostic.)

What about things like this:Autel MX808
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/maxich ... 08#reviews

The bullet list of features are impressive so long as they apply to my car (probably too old) and that they really do what I think they do.

But again.. when it says the Autel MX808 can "Read/clear codes for all available systems" does that mean it can do the same as VIDA/DICE?

Last question.. what exactly is the difference between VIDA/DICE and exactly what can they do that scanners like the Autel MX808 can't?

Thansk

Andy