IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Scan tools - confusing amount... which work?

How to buy, install and use VIDA, VADIS, DiCE, VMWare and all the questions and answers that come with these tools.
MarcM
Year and Model: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD
United States of America
MarcM

Scan tools - confusing amount... which work?

Post by MarcM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:26 pm

I was considering an Autel MD802, as I generally am the local go-to guy for a lot of people with various makes/models of course. I have a Mac ET50/55, but it won't read the '05 Volvo S60 of course. What I've noticed is that the MD802 comes in 2 styles. 4-system only and all system, whereas the 4-system is slightly cheaper and not what I want. I've also read reviews stating if you don't get it direct, you might get a pre-registered gray market unit. The update site stated gives a 500 Internal Server Error (www.maxidas.com). If I'm spending $275+, I want updates.
I'm trying to locate an all-in-one... all systems diagnostic / reader tool. O'Reilly has the Bosch series but am not sure if they'll work. The ELM-style reader (1050) looks promising, but have to pay $40 for the first car and about $8 for each additional. I seriously don't want to pay $200+ for a decent all-systems reader / diagnostic tool that won't work on either the Volvo or domestic/Asian.
Anyone have any ideas of that style reader which are also available that meet my "must read all systems on all cars worldwide" and less than ~$300?
2005 S60 2.5T AWD
IPD mods:
IPD HD PVC intercooler coupler/upper, HD Subframe poly inserts
ProPartsSweden HD top mount square mount, PPS lower torque rod & control arms.

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Re: Scan tools - confusing amount... which work?

Post by precopster » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:04 pm

That's a pretty tall order for under $300. You would need to scour and I mean REALLY scour multiple forum sites to find a tool that does it all unless you spring for a DS series costing hundreds more. The Autel MD 802 would probably do fine with Volvos as it comes from the same stable as the EU-702 & 801.

I bet they were hoping that we wouldn't click on that link :) I've only seen support sites for Autel with a autel in the URL.....
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

MarcM
United States of America
MarcM

Post by MarcM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:30 pm

precopster wrote:I bet they were hoping that we wouldn't click on that link :) I've only seen support sites for Autel with a autel in the URL.....
Just found the actual update page. pro. autel. com. They canned the other one apparently. I was going to buy the full boat MD802, but read reviews on it that if you order from the wrong person, you're going to get a non-supported/updateable unit. I emailed Autel USA months ago, to no response. All I asked is basically "Do you have a list of resellers where I can get a US supported, full-boat MD802?"
I did the Read/Rear Fog buttons method the other day. First time I've done this. Said I have codes in the SRS, ECM, CEM, CCM, PDM, PSM and UEM. Disconnected the battery, held the cables against eachother for about 3 min. Did my IPD PVC intercooler lower & coupler install and reinstalled battery. Drove it 39 miles so far with about 7 starts. ECM is in "Checking" mode, but the other 6 systems still have codes set.
Odd thing is, before battery disconnect and now... BCM/TCM/DDM/RDM still say "checking". I even let the car sit at BCM and waited about 10 min for it to say something different, to no change. Previous to the battery pull yesterday, car has been on the road doing 60mi / day for weeks. Is it normal for systems to be "checking" for this long?
2005 S60 2.5T AWD
IPD mods:

MarcM
United States of America
MarcM

Post by MarcM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:30 pm

MarcM wrote:
precopster wrote:I bet they were hoping that we wouldn't click on that link :) I've only seen support sites for Autel with a autel in the URL.....
Just found the actual update page. pro. autel. com. They canned the other one apparently. I was going to buy the full boat MD802, but read reviews on it that if you order from the wrong person, you're going to get a non-supported/non-updateable unit. I emailed Autel USA months ago, to no response. All I asked is basically "Do you have a list of resellers where I can get a US supported, full-boat MD802?"
I did the Read/Rear Fog buttons method the other day. First time I've done this. Said I have codes in the SRS, ECM, CEM, CCM, PDM, PSM and UEM. Disconnected the battery, held the cables against eachother for about 3 min. Did my IPD PVC intercooler lower & coupler install and reinstalled battery. Drove it 39 miles so far with about 7 starts. ECM is in "Checking" mode, but the other 6 systems still have codes set.
Odd thing is, before battery disconnect and now... BCM/TCM/DDM/RDM still say "checking". I even let the car sit at BCM and waited about 10 min for it to say something different, to no change. Previous to the battery pull yesterday, car has been on the road doing 60mi / day for weeks. Is it normal for systems to be "checking" for this long?
2005 S60 2.5T AWD
IPD mods:

MarcM
United States of America
MarcM

Post by MarcM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:31 pm

Just found the actual update page. pro. autel. com. They canned the other one apparently. I was going to buy the full boat MD802, but read reviews on it that if you order from the wrong person, you're going to get a non-supported/non-updateable unit. I emailed Autel USA months ago, to no response. All I asked is basically "Do you have a list of resellers where I can get a US supported, full-boat MD802?"
2005 S60 2.5T AWD
IPD mods:

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:36 am

I wouldn't read too much into the fog buttons method....

I think once you scan it you'll need to clear them all properly. In my mind the level of complexity that a Volvo P2 needs is a Vida Dice setup. Yes it's cumbersome to bring a laptop with you and have to worry about it's battery state. Vida shows all stored codes even if not pending. It also has tests and activations that no other scan tool can perform. Because I only work on Volvos that is enough for me.

Had a guy come in for a suspected ETM the other day and he had a turbo boost sensor failure. The scan tool he was using just didn't pick it up. It was apparently something that works great with French cars :D
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

MarcM
United States of America
MarcM

Post by MarcM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:59 pm

An MVS member and I will hopefully meet up sometime this week and use his scan tool to at least get an idea of this SRS Urgent message. I do have a laptop I can use, just have to get a copy of Win 7, since it's a Vista machine by default... currently running Ubuntu 14.04. Hoping it'll run under Wine emulator. Small backstory is I bought Vida / Wiring diagram cd's for $10 on SleazeBay months back. The Vida disk wasn't finalized so the guy sent me a link to download. Really is useless without the Dice unit. Might end up getting the Vida/Dice combo for $100, but not a trustful person of Sleazebay. ;)
If you were in New England (Northeast tip of USA), you'd have my business. You're straight-up direct.
2005 S60 2.5T AWD
IPD mods:

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
Has thanked: 0
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:33 pm

MarcM wrote:any ideas of that style reader which are also available that meet my "must read all systems on all cars worldwide" and less than ~$300?
Our mysterious friend, CAN bus

A $60 Gadget That Makes Car Hacking Far Easier

Liliflower
Year and Model: Volvo S60 2005
Been thanked: 0
Mexico
Liliflower

Post by Liliflower » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:37 am

less than ~$300?

original Autel MD802 full-boat +datastream $259, update online (with serial number and official site upgradeable)
http://www.obd365.com/wholesale/maxidia ... ystem.html

If you have a delicate XP laptop, then go for VIDA DiCE unit, less than $100
http://www.obd365.com/wholesale/volvo-v ... rsion.html

not 100% sure they do Volvo worldwide

Liliflower
Year and Model: Volvo S60 2005
Been thanked: 0
Mexico
Liliflower

Post by Liliflower » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:20 am

no more Windows xp operating system. Only Win7 professional (32-bit)
price is down as well, US$85
http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/volvo ... rsion.html