Drove one today

Discussion on the exciting new 2017 Volvo cars built on the SPA platform.
vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Flag: United States of America

Drove one today

Postby vtl » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:09 am

V90CC T6, Inscription, fully loaded.

This is a really nice car. Very tight steering, perfect suspension, a lot of space, beautiful in and out. T6 is powerful enough. Not a Corvette, but more than enough for a family car. Definitely faster than our other Volvos.

The only thing I decided not to order is Inscription trim - Volvo does not know what to do with Nappa leather - a new car with a lot of tears, looks horrible. Same problem with leather on dash:

I sat in S90 with regular leather seats and regular plastic dashboard, looks and feel very good. I'd say, better than Inscription with all those imperfections.

Also not sure about B&W, probably can pass by. I suspect that Volvo uses active noise cancelling via audio system, it is simply not ready to what I usually listen to.

All in all, I'm really glad Volvo made it. Wagon is back!

ctramp
Year and Model: S90 2017

Re: Drove one today

Postby ctramp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 am

Beautiful car. I'm glad they're still making wagons. I've owned two in the past -- great family (and dog) car. And useful. I carried a 20 foot canoe on top with no problem.

I saw one of the new ones in brown the other day. Great look. But I'd be afraid to ruin it using it like a wagon.

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70

Postby vtl » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:51 pm

In Europe, Volvo equals to wagon. Wagon is an apotheosis of car pragmatism, and this is what Nordic people are all about.

Yeah, had the same feeling about our then new XC60. But couple of rides to beach with kids - and the car is not shiny and crystal clean any more :-D Looking at my 12 years old now XC70 I see that it ages pretty well, despite being used, uh, pragmatically :) It is still looks almost as new when I detail is thoroughly. Volvo do last.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD

Postby mrbrian200 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Regarding the B&W setup, the one I sat in at the dealer in Colorado sounded funky until you go into the 'sound enhancement' menus where you can turn off DSPs at which point I thought it sounded really good. I noted once I had my little listen the salesman went straight back in and re-enabled the effect. I didn't catch whether there's a user configurable multi band/parametric EQ in there. In the car I tend to like two bumps in response, one around 180hz for warmth and another around 5khz to restore clarity to vocals/talk, both around 2-3db. Car audio setups typically have all sorts of resonance issues in that mid-bass range in many cars in which case you wouldn't want to bump that. I wasn't picking up on any major problems in that respect in the XC, mid bass range sounded pretty clean which is probably the single most difficult thing accomplish in a vehicle environment.

Return to “Volvo S90, V90, V90 Cross Country forum”