IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

head cylinder removal

Discussion on the exciting new 2017 Volvo cars built on the SPA platform.
brownrock
Year and Model: v90 1997
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
brownrock

head cylinder removal

Post by brownrock » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm in the process of removing the head cylinder on my '97 V90. Have now run into a problem that's got me stumped.

The cylinder head absolutely refuses to lift around # 6 (passenger and driver side). Lifts fine and easily everywhere else. Clearly something is holding it down.

When I removed the head cylinder bolts, the passenger side bolt at the very back (cylinder #6) decided it didn't want to come out. I ended up with a stripped bolt head. Tried all sorts of things without success. So i did the only thing I could think of which was to drill the top part of the bolt out.

Proceeding with caution and care using Bosch cobalt drill bits starting at 1/16" and working my way up to 1/2" I was able to drill the bolt head out and down about 2" below the head. Now I'm left with a piece of the bolt inside the head (say 1 to 1 1/2 "), ALL other bolts are out of the head.

I'm left thinking that either the head will not lift around #6 because I did not drill all of the bolt out (contrary to what I think) OR there is some sort of additional bolt or something at the back of the engine which is locking things up and needs to be removed.

BTW I've removed the camshaft sensor, oil dipstick bracket bolt. I cannot see any other bolts that might be a problem. Anyone have thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
1314532980987.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Of all the cars I've had: Fiat 500 & 850, Triumph Spitfire, Mini Cooper, MGB-GT, Peugeot 204 & 404, Ford Mustang, Honda Prelude & Accord, Mazda RX7 GSL-SE, BMW 320, Volvo 850 Turbo my V90 is my most loved car

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: head cylinder removal

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Did you get this solved? Why are you removing the head - maybe a hint as to the problem.

Go around the head and make sure everything is off - then give it a good few walks with a rubber mallet. Could it be sticking on one of the dowels? Be brave - give it firm blows in safe areas.