MVS Moderator donation week is here! Show the moderators you appreciate their help.
IPD sale Volvo Parts

Tire wear reports anyone?

A forum for Volvo's new, fantastic XC90! XC90 T5, T6, T8... all the new XC90 trim levels for this Volvo built on Volvo's Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) that also is the platform for the new S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country.
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Re: Tire wear reports anyone?

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:45 am

Wife's car and it has had no drag racing. Normal city and highway driving. Tire rotation and all service at the dealer. If you were to look at the records it would be above normal as we service it every 7500 miles. And specifically pay extra to look at the alignment and rotate the tires during said intervals.

It looks like it eats tires just like the original XC90. Other than that and the constant software update recalls the car has been very good. The wife is happy, she pays that bill, I don't complain.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:30 am

SuperHerman wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:45 am
It looks like it eats tires just like the original XC90.
Typical of mid end lux, they can't get too fancy with the suspension design while chasing ride quality and keep the price in check. 'Basic suspension design' atop a subframe with soft squishy bushes is typical of the segment. The result is a more 'dynamic' alignment that drifts more than is probably considered ideal under varying torque/road conditions resulting in accelerated tire wear and somewhat less than stellar handling.

If you want it all with fewer trade offs, you're going to be looking at high end vehicles that start 2-3-4-5x Volvo's MSRP. Honestly, if I win the $1.6 billion MM that's up for grabs tonight, as much as I genuinely admire the recently unveiled '19 S60's super pretty looks, what I'd likely end up buying would be a Bentley Continental GT or an AMG GT53 or 63, which are between 3-6x what the new S60s start at. Because if money truly isn't an object it becomes unnecessary to put up with mid-end price driven design trade-offs. Nothing against Volvo.. for the price I paid for my S60 I'd have trouble finding a better/nicer car. And I'm reminded of that every time I get behind the wheel of my friends MY15 Honda Civic. But with an original sticker price ~$35k-something it's not a high end luxury vehicle, never was, never will be, even though it sure resembles something that might have cost over $100k new. A '15 XC90 that ran between ~$45-70k msrp is in the same boat. The high end starts around $110k and up for an SUV.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:38 am

Still though. A set of summer tyres should easily last twice the above. Unless they're super soft performance tyres that have no place on a regular car but that some people fit anyway.

The original XC90 was an afterthought built on a platform never designed to support it's weight in the first place. Not exactly a good starting point. The other cars on the same platform have good tyre economy if in good shape.

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America

Post by June » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:56 am

Form personal experience with two Volvo cars bought new with factory Perelli tires, when replacement is due select a Volvo approved alternative tire. I had trouble with both sets and in the second car's case drove it three years with Michelin without problems I had with the Perelli factory set. Ask your service advisor for the list of Volvo approved tires for your model and research each option before deciding. Notice the 2018 XC90 T5 service loaner I am currently driving has Continental factory tires. June
Attachments
20181022_114401.jpg
20181022_114405.jpg
20181022_114412.jpg
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:31 am

Note I don't rotate..with good alignment and balance it really shouldn't be all that necessary IMO.

On my P2 S60, the rear isn't nearly as 'dynamic' as the front in this regard. @30k miles on the Pirellis P6s, which also tout a UTQG up around 600, the tires on the rear are maybe 20% down, nice even wear. They'll last 60-70k miles easy. I have the front suspension tweaked to compensate for it's more dynamic nature to achieve in 0 deg toe in/out while rolling at speed on the highway. This is done by tracking/peaking fuel econ on flat level highway runs with the cruise at a set speed, not by adjusting while the car is standing. The front tires will need to be replaced soon, probably no later than next summer. Being a FWD drive car, the front is expected to wear a little faster than than the rear regardless of driving style but the difference I'm seeing is probably more than would be if the front suspension were tighter. I've toyed with the idea of installing poly on the front LCA bushes to help with this. The OE bushes allow the LCA to deflect a little more than I would consider ideal. A set of aftermarket (rubber) bushes I tried a couple years ago better controlled this deflection but exerted too much tension against vertical suspension travel causing other, even more objectionable problems, so they came off and the OE bushes went back on. The 'trade off' I'll probably settle with eventually will be poly bushes with 3-4psi lower tire pressure and I'll just have to accept the small hit in fuel econ. I haven't decided yet whether I really want to 'go there'.

Edit. I guess since I'm jibbering about this, I might mention something I've found that sort of drives the point home. At one point I thought I had some minor engine bogging at hard throttle. While playing with front end toe setting I discovered it's actually increased drag from the front wheels being pushed toe-out under torque. I can get the bog to go away if I set the front end somewhat toe-in, but then my highway mpg goes down from ~40 to 32-34, and on modest downhill slopes I wasn't able to coast down while maintaining speed with my foot off the gas. Increased drag with it set toe-in even more severely impacted stop and go city econ from 'not bad at all/impressive for a 3600lb lux' to a total gas guzzler.
Last edited by mrbrian200 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America

Post by June » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:53 am

mrbrian200 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:31 am
Note I don't rotate..with good alignment and balance it really shouldn't be all that necessary IMO.

On my P2 S60, the rear isn't nearly as 'dynamic' as the front in this regard. @30k miles on the Pirellis P6s, which also tout a UTQG up around 600, the tires on the rear are maybe 20% down, nice even wear. They'll last 60-70k miles easy. I have the front suspension tweaked to compensate for it's more dynamic nature to achieve in 0 deg toe in/out while rolling at speed on the highway. This is done by tracking/peaking fuel econ on flat level highway runs with the cruise at a set speed, not by adjusting while the car is standing. The front tires will need to be replaced soon, probably no later than next summer. Being a FWD drive car, the front is expected to wear a little faster than than the rear regardless of driving style but the difference I'm seeing is probably more than would be if the front suspension were tighter. I've toyed with the idea of installing poly on the front LCA bushes to help with this. The OE bushes allow the LCA to deflect a little more than I would consider ideal. A set of aftermarket (rubber) bushes I tried a couple years ago better controlled this deflection but exerted too much tension against vertical suspension travel causing other, even more objectionable problems, so they came off and the OE bushes went back on. The 'trade off' I'll probably settle with eventually will be poly bushes with 3-4psi lower tire pressure and I'll just have to accept the small hit in fuel econ. I haven't decided yet whether I really want to 'go there'.
Note most XC90s are AWD and all tires MUST have even tread wear. So not rotating allowing uneven tread will destroy the AWD. Replacing one tire on a car less than a year old under 10K ruined my AWD in my Cross country and I learned the hard way about AWD and uneven tires. I am told there is a machine to shave the new tire if a flat occurs in a AWD and one tire must be replaced. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:59 am

June wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:53 am
mrbrian200 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:31 am

Note most XC90s are AWD and all tires MUST have even tread wear. So not rotating allowing uneven tread will destroy the AWD. Replacing one tire on a car less than a year old under 10K ruined my AWD in my Cross country and I learned the hard way about AWD and uneven tires. I am told there is a machine to shave the new tire if a flat occurs in a AWD and one tire must be replaced. June
That was really only true for the older pre-Haldex AWDs. The Haldex systems can manage tyres of different stages of wear. The viscous coupling version before it couldn't and broke.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 pm

As stated before: The wife's 2016 XC90 had regular tire rotation at 7500 miles and corresponding alignment checks at the dealer. This was done at our request and at our expense. The Pirelli's lasted 35k. At the point of replacement they had legal tread but made considerable road noise and handling was not great.

The dealer just installed the same tire again. They also performed an alignment. Ride is back to almost new and the car drives great.

The car has been serviced above and beyond recommended by the Dealer (again at our expense) and it has been driven in a normal fashion.

The same tire model is standard equipment on many "high" end vehicles. The car cost almost $80k out the door in 2016 - in my mind that is a high end car.

My take away - the XC90 eats the OEM spec'd tire. Whether another tire would provide superior longevity will be unknown for another 30-35k.

I had the same issue with our 2004 XC90 - never any luck regardless of tire brand.