IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Low Low drag drag coefficient for an SUV!

A forum for Volvo's new, fantastic XC90! XC90 T5, T6, T8... all the new XC90 trim levels for this Volvo built on Volvo's Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) that also is the platform for the S60, XC60, V60, V60 Cross Country, Polestar 1, S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country.
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Low Low drag drag coefficient for an SUV!

Post by mrbrian200 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Plugging away on my sister's (new to her) '03 XC90. Looking up data, plugging in numbers on ecomodder.com to gauge whether the econ I'm seeing is in line with what can be expected (it is). Coefficient of drag (CD) at 0.38 on the older XC90s is actually pretty good for a SUV. It'll never be like my FWD S60 in this respect but she has expressed being pleased with it in this regard. She's seeing low-mid 20s AVG.

Somewhere along the line I come across info for these new SPA XC90's having a CD of a mere 0.30. Oh my. I'm just floored that large SUV could have a wind resistance profile in line with my *dramatically smaller* P2 S60 (at 0.28 considered very good for a mid size sedan).

Volvo's really nailed it with these new SPAs. And it goes beyond equipment/ styling that most people find themselves gawking over, myself included. A full size SUV with a CD of just 0.30 just one more thing to salivate over. Impressive job Volvo.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: Low Low drag drag coefficient for an SUV!

Post by matthew1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Agreed. They put a load of engineering into these new cars.

I've got all 4 pages up for these SPA Volvos now if you're interested. The links are in the footer of all MVS pages.

I'll be watching closely the durability of the Drive E engines over the next few years. The XC90 is especially heavy for a 2 liter 4-cylinder. I'm optimistic however. I'd be surprised if there were fundamental problems.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:47 am

matthew1 wrote:Agreed. They put a load of engineering into these new cars.
I am gaining respect for Greely. The Chinese domestic auto industry is known to be somewhat of a mess - 20-30 years behind many other major automakers particularly with regard to safety. That said Greely appears to clearly understand the stakes with Volvo and seems genuinely determined not to muck it up. They threw a ton of money into development of these new platforms.

The days of the GM quad 4 are behind us provided proper knowledgeable engineering goes and development/production isn't nickel and dimed to death (cough-ford/lincoln-cough). If mechanicals are spec'd more along the lines to that of a good diesel they'll be just fine.

I'm watching closely to see what the updated S60s will be. The S90 is a little bigger/heavier than I would want. If the SPA S60 due next year or two largely mirrors the S90 (just a little smaller/lighter) with addable premium options like that fantastic B&W sound system I'll be all over it. I'm and audiophile nut that sound system in the XC90 I sat in @ Colorado Springs was the first OE setup I've *ever* heard that I thought sounded good enough to my ears to not touch a thing. Upgrading lackluster factory audio to audiophile sound quality I personally insist on is a very time consuming meticulous endeavor and I'm getting tired of doing it every 5-7 years with each new car.

tryingbe
Year and Model: None
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
tryingbe

Post by tryingbe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 am

mrbrian200 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:12 pm
Somewhere along the line I come across info for these new SPA XC90's having a CD of a mere 0.30. Oh my. I'm just floored that large SUV could have a wind resistance profile in line with my *dramatically smaller* P2 S60 (at 0.28 considered very good for a mid size sedan).
The size of the vehicle have almost nothing to do with coefficent of drag. Drag area matter with the size of the vehicle.

A classic mini has a Cd of 0.48 while a Lexus LS 460 has a Cd of 0.26.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobil ... oefficient

85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Pictures of that Uber 'HAL-9000' rollover accident I noted how clean the underside of that XC is- which I understand is integral to this. I discovered last year after doing an oil change if I run without the splash shield on my S60 the highway econ ticks down noticeably -1 to 2 MPG. I put it back on. I really like the T8 configuration (in theory) from the perspective of incorporating AWD without the parasitic losses normally associated powering the rear via the engine. However in the real world the conversion of engine power to electricity back to torque via electric drive at the rear isn't 100% efficient either.
Do the T8's operate as FWD while maintaining a constant steady speed above 45mph/no wheel slip detected (or have a switchable option to invoke such a mode)? It isn't unrealistic that I may be in the market for a CPO a few years from now. I'm watching where Volvo is going with the new S60s. Word is they're to be a bit sportier looking than the new S90 & XCs, If they turn out like a couple of the renderings floating about the net...
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/08/volvos ... to-be.html
...sort of a morph between the new S90 with a dose of the distinctive P2 exterior contour STYLE... you'll be hard pressed to keep me off the lot. P2 sedans were some of the nicest, genuinely pretty vehicles made inside and out in the last 20 years IMHO. As is the new S90 in it's own sort of conservative (yet with an aggressive stance) way. P2's had style at 200% but lacked an aggressive undertone to really appeal to 'sport' types. A successful cross between the two would drive me bat s--- crazy in want.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:23 pm

I am a huge fan of the P2 wagons, especially the R. Very aggressive looking, with great proportions, and consistent Volvo design "language" among models in that era. I was very proud of my 2004 V70 R. It drove as fast as it looked too.

I think it might be time to research the new XC90 reliability statistics. They've been out for two years now, and there is probably enough data out there to draw conclusions.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Regarding reliability the only bit I've caught is dealer garages aren't seeing many in for problems. Greely threw serious cash at this new platform. Regarding the exterior styling it's worth noting before I embarked on the Volvo path I initially thought I wanted a Dodge Avenger which also has a sort of sporty passive aggressive look. I looked at one well equipped with two tone leather seats and liked it a lot but resisted an impulse buy. I'm glad I didn't as I caught they are prone to head gasket failure if you push it. Initially I was willing to dismiss reports as that one in a million (but most of them are probably fine) until my sister told me somebody she works with bought one and at less than a year they got stranded with a blown engine in the Smokeys, which aren't even 'real' mountains in my book.