Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Spark Plugs: Copper vs Iridium vs Platinum FF#32

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
Sommerfeldt
Year and Model: 1996 850 T5
Norway
Sommerfeldt

Re: Spark Plugs: Copper vs Iridium vs Platinum FF#32

Post by Sommerfeldt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:31 pm

mrbrian200 wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:39 am
OE plugs may not be the best possible 'configuration' that can be achieved, but reconfiguring properly goes beyond simply throwing a different plug under there. With something as 'big' as the spark plugs you need to take the car to a tuner to have the ECU software/maps customized - else at best you simply won't likely gain the full potential advantage of using those alternate plugs, or at worst you risk engine and/or catalyst damage.
I use Denso Iridium IK20. They’re supposed to come gapped at .044, but didn’t - properly gapped, they’ve been excellent, though. I haven’t got a planned change interval - I’m going to pull them when I do the timing belt in a couple of thousand miles, and if they look good, they go back in. They should last a pretty while. :)

As to remapping for spark plugs, I don’t think that’s accurate at all. Spark plugs aren’t “big” - they don’t facilitate more airflow, more injected fuel, higher pressures or alter timing. Spark plugs produce spark. With better plugs, you can get a more reliable burn at the correct time, and better power that way, essentially just giving the engine and ECU what they’re expecting will happen, when it’s expected.

If you add fuel or air, need a different load request curve or TCV duty cycle for boost build or onset, that’s a remap. Spark plugs not so much.

- S

'96 855 T5, R bumper and spoiler, Koni Yellows & blue H&R springs all 'round.

KLR142
Year and Model: 1991 244
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
KLR142

Post by KLR142 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:02 pm

You don't need anything re-tuned to use different spark plugs and you won't risk engine or catalyst damage if they have the right gap, measurements and heat range...

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:42 am

KLR142 wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:02 pm
You don't need anything re-tuned to use different spark plugs and you won't risk engine or catalyst damage if they have the right gap, measurements and heat range...
I might have agreed with that prior to ~y2k, particularly on NA engines dating to before modern computerized ECU fuel delivery/spark timing control, and early ECU designs that were by modern standards still pretty 'sloppy'. Not now though.

KLR142
Year and Model: 1991 244
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
KLR142

Post by KLR142 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 am

That's ok, you don't have to agree. I'm just telling it like it is.

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:16 pm

You're not the first to report this.

Just wondering what brand of coil packs you have. Are they all Bosch or is there an aftermarket one or two thrown in there?

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.