IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

N/A tuning 20V, VVIS, something diffirent.

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
anmartin44
Year and Model: 1994 850 n/a
Been thanked: 0
anmartin44

Re: N/A tuning 20V, VVIS, something diffirent.

Post by anmartin44 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:18 pm

i am not sure if i missed this but which years does this device work in. i have a 94 n/a and am always looking for more juice!
1994 850 na green 187k on body, 275k on motor(backwards?), unrestricted airbox, 960 TB, persus wheels, Lowered, IPD poly upper and trans mounts.
1974 144 k-jet m40 satin black, 250k on body, 25k on rebuilt motor(running...usually)

razorx
Year and Model: 855 '96, 854 '93
Has thanked: 0
razorx

Post by razorx » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:02 am

anmartin44 wrote:i am not sure if i missed this but which years does this device work in. i have a 94 n/a and am always looking for more juice!
It works in the GLT models.
You can easily see if you have a VVIS inlet manifold by looking at the left side of your airbox.

If you see the VVIS control solenoid, it will fit ;)

Dirk342
Year and Model: 850-1993
Dirk342

Post by Dirk342 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:21 am

Hello you all,

I'm one of the Dutch testdrivers for Razorx when he developed the VVIS tuning. I've got the VVIS in my car for allmost a year right now and I can tell you that's it's working just fine. I drive what you called a '93 GLT, but in the Netherlands the car is sold as a '92 model. I've also built this VVIS in other 850's and they all are working properly. In the Netherlands I built VVIS in 850's built from 1992-1997. As Razorx told you, if you got a solenoid beside your airbox, VVIS is possible regardless how old the car might be.

I've also built the VVIS on an 2.5-10V with an inletmanifold from a 20V mounted on it. Even by this car, which isn't original at all, there is a significant difference noticeable.

I think personally when you drive a N/A car like the 850 2.5-20V as mine, or even better an Italian one with the 2.0-20V engine, that the VVIS is a cheap, well examined and realiable (sorry, don't know the right translation for this word) tuning module which gives you a complete different car.

W.f.r.

Dirk

o_lindh
Year and Model: 850 1994
o_lindh

Post by o_lindh » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:27 am

I have an 850 with the 10 valve engine. I am wondering if you will do some performance testing and graphing for the 10 valve engine?

I would like to know what gains could be made with your system to know if it is worth the time and money. Thanks.

razorx
razorx

Post by razorx » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:33 am

o_lindh wrote:I have an 850 with the 10 valve engine. I am wondering if you will do some performance testing and graphing for the 10 valve engine?

I would like to know what gains could be made with your system to know if it is worth the time and money. Thanks.
It is a pity, but the 10V does not heave a VVIS manifold.
Even more a pity because my wife has a 20V and I a 10V ;)

Kind regards,
Yits

tolian2
Year and Model: 1995 Volvo 855 5sp
tolian2

Post by tolian2 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:10 pm

where can i get/buy the electric schematics or a ready made board?
I have 95 855 with VVIS manifold and would like to give it a try.

thanks

razorx
razorx

Post by razorx » Tue May 11, 2010 4:24 pm

tolian2 wrote:where can i get/buy the electric schematics or a ready made board?
I have 95 855 with VVIS manifold and would like to give it a try.

thanks
Nice to hear you are interested.

It will work in your car.

The diagrams, I keep for my self. I spent a lot of money on the research, testing and turning it in to something professional.
But there is hope: Now I can supply small quantities of ready made (and tested) boards.
The only thing you have to do is putting 4 wires from the engine compartment to the device in the passengers compartment.
See link to manual below.

Just for other people to check if they want to use this mod:
An 850 with VVIS has a solenoid. Its mounted on the left side of the air box, close to the distributer cap.
Also see the first picture in the manual.
www.paerl.it/volvo/vvis manual%20eng.pdf

If your car is equipped witch this solenoid, you have a VVIS inlet manifold.
In Europe al '94 20V's had VVIS but just check to be sure.

In the package is the circuit board (soldered and tested) a two color led and a connector for the car side.

If you are handy with the soldering iron you can mount the switch and the led on a "blind panel" like this.

If you don't want to do this yourself: I have some spare Alter-II (the rounded ones) blind panels. In that case I can prepare the assembly for you.

It costs 100,- euro including postage inside the EU. Other countries: We'l find out.

Yust one warning, not to humiliate you or anybody:
For al lot of people, it is easy to build in.
But I have also noticed with some, with less electricity experience, that they had difficulties putting it all together.

Yust to be sure.
Another thing: Models with a serial number below 30700 (just the very first 1992 models), have a completely different control system and logic for the variable inlet manifold. Not perfect but good enough. So my mod will not work on these very first models.

If you are interested, yust PM ;) .
Kind regards,
Yits.

bigdaddylee82
Year and Model: '95 850 GLT+94 parts
bigdaddylee82

Post by bigdaddylee82 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:29 pm

I've got a unique scenario... I've got a '94 VVIS engine in a '95 GLT, you can read about it here, I'm using the '95 non-VVIS computers and wiring harness on the engine. I had no idea there was such a thing until my "new" motor showed up on a pallet, and I began disassembling :oops:. Anyway, I've got no way to control the VVIS, so it's just in it's "default" fully open position all the time. So, were I to acquire the proper solenoid and some vacuum lines, all I would need to control the VVIS is your nifty little gadget right?

To shed a little extra light on the subject, those of you thinking about swapping a VVIS intake manifold onto a later model engine, well, it isn't that simple. The VVIS intake manifolds and heads are drastically different from the later non-VVIS engines. My original plan of attack on my engine swap was to use my old (but later model) non VVIS manifold off of the original engine in my car, but I soon learned that, that wasn't going to happen. If your real interested in the differences, and issues check out my link above, but just to go ahead and show the some of the differences, here's a picture.

'94 VVIS intake manifold on top, and '95 non-VVIS manifold on bottom.

- Lee

razorx
razorx

Post by razorx » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Good day Lee,

I just read your posts and the work you have done. respect!

Yeah, my device can replace the original VVIS control signal completely.
If you need one, i sell them for € 100,- sending included.

You still will need the solenoid with the appropriate vacuum lines.

The manual:
http://www.paerl.it/volvo/vvis%20manual%20eng.pdf

Kind regards,
Yits.

razorx
razorx

Post by razorx » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Time for an update ;)
I always thought that only the 20V's manufactured till 1994 had the VVIS manifold.

Today a member of the Dutch Volvo 850 forum arrived to get some help with reading his 1995 OBD system.

To my big surprise he also had a VVIS inlet manifold. Conclusion: Even on at least some '95 models this type of tuning is possible.

[offtopic]
Ther are still so many things I would like to share on this forum.
But I need time to translate. For example a starter engine replacement.
It really can be done much simpler than mentioned in the database of this forum (no offence).

And there is so much more to contrubute.
{/offtopic]
Kind regards you all!