MVS Moderator donation week is here! Show the moderators you appreciate their help.
IPD sale Volvo Parts

Lean AFR at idle after stage 3 build

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
Gdane4x4
Year and Model: 1998 V70R
United States of America

Lean AFR at idle after stage 3 build

Post by Gdane4x4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:45 am

Hello everyone and thanks for all the information given over the years. I finally registered and yes qualify as a NB since just now making it official with my own post. I had collected all parts for my 98 v70R stage 3 build then due to life 3 years later I finally installed all my fancy shiny parts "yeah me". Will list all mods in second reply for info but basics are this. All complete stage 0, with new head gasket, seals, lines ect. Anything that could be replaced on car other than short block or tranny was. Goal was almost completely new 98. All high end componets...CJ Dp and cat, full ss 3" out back, Ipd stage 3, fmi, rip, ard goodies etc etc. New Bosch 02 se sensors front and rear and additional auto meter wide band and egt. Now to the problem.. First start up car runs excellent and perfect 14.7 afr. Ran in shop several differnt times for extended periods looking for leaks and such sspecially since everything had been apart. No vacum leaks that could be found, all new silicon everywhere. Have had at operating temp in shop as well before first drive. First drive and all was good until about 3 miles down road and turned around and then afrs went lean 16 to 17. Never giving much throttle during drive and zero wot as to hoping to not confuse new ecu and at most 1/2 throttle. Bucks and surges and slowly comes out of it as I limp it back to shop. Afrs are up and down and if I played with throttle correctly under slight load all was fine and smooth but at zero throttle afr is 16.5 -17.1 sometimes it dips back in high 15's but returns 16 to 17. I let it sit over night and next day it fires right up smooth as can be but still high afr and would def stumble if driven. I pull neg bat cable and pos to reset and come back later. Fires right up and bam 14.7 +/- for long idle time. Get optimistic and drive to town. This time makes it about 8 miles then same issue and limp back home. Done this 3 times now and only code ever given was 0130 front 02 sensor code and checked connections and is brand new. Also was not a universal style plug either.... bang head on wall... Thank you all very much and sorry about the book and apologize if my lack of computer skills shine through my effort to beat this gremlin off my back.

Gdane4x4
Year and Model: 1998 V70R
United States of America

Re: Lean AFR at idle after stage 3 build

Post by Gdane4x4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:55 am

Specs... 1998 Volvo V70R 2.3 auto (s60r motor on stand for later date). Ipd stage 3 tune, ard na intake and tb, ard pulley, ipd phen spacer, ipd front intercooler, RIP, Short ram intake with cone, s60r exhaust mani, new 18t, cj DP and HF cat, I built custom 3" ss exhaust out back into one black widow muffler, ipd tcv, heavy bypass spring kit, sas diode delete, complete stage zero and also new head gasket with head bolts(excellent compression across the board), Msd, plugs wires etc, Auto meter WB afr gauge and also egr gauge. All silicon vacum hoses and new orings throughout. Stock R injectors but have blues and greens if needed. New Throttle position sensor and temp sensor. Brand new Bosch 02 sensors front and rear witb rear in custom made defouler to avoid any cels from HF cat.Thats all I can think of off hand for motor/tune related. Rest is full synthetic throughout, aftermarket tranny cooler, tme lowering springs all around, knoi adjustables up front with new lowered chassis rear nivos, ipd sways and links front and back, every suspension bushing front and rear(pain in butt) are new, custom aluminum rear adjustable toe link bars in rear, all new motor mounts, a arms and tie rods, 17"BBS with conti Ews, rear drive shaft new(lucked into good deal) but pulled and put to side to lessen stress on componets as build continues as of now, ebc pads, front projectors, led everything, new radiator etc etc. Goal was build a new as possible 98 rather than buy new car for daily duties. Easier to say everything was replaced, rebuilt or upgraded except few items on my to do list...eventually will do Cam position, Maf, knock sensor, climate sensors and IAC valve but sense I knew they worked well previously so I have waited. Leaving only alternator,ac pump and components along with power steering pump and rack as only real mechanical components yet to be addressed but currently in good operating condition and of course the bottom end and tranny but other plans dictate those. Went through front to back of car and minus finding a couple odds and end pieces build is basically close. The s60r motor on stand is for later along with possible manual conversion options. And have already professionally ported and polished the head.