MVS Moderator donation week is here! Show the moderators you appreciate their help.
IPD sale Volvo Parts

Rattle Wizard With Xray Eyes Needed

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.
1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40
Richouser
Year and Model: 2003 V 40
United States of America

Rattle Wizard With Xray Eyes Needed

Post by Richouser » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 am

We have a 2003 V40 Wagon in pampered condition, 103K miles. Suddenly, and about 3 months ago, it developed a loud rattle that seems to be coming from behind the metal glove compartment shroud. It sounds like a suspended hard surface like a plastic wire connector vibrating and hitting against a metal surface. It modulates with the front wheel suspension as the normal vibrations travel through the car chassis. With normal driving it will just roll on for awhile, but give a harsh crack with a hard bump.

I have removed everything I can, kick panels, speaker cover, blower motor, radio, a/c controls etc. to try to find it without removing the dash facia itself. The glove shroud is riveted to the facia, to protect the airbag I assume. Removing the facia seems a bit over my head. Plus, if I do that, I won't be able to drive the vehicle to locate the rattle anyway.

Has anyone had one of these apart and could intuit what this might be, and if there is a way to access it without removing the dash facia? It is driving us nuts!

Thanks.

alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T
United States of America

Re: Rattle Wizard With Xray Eyes Needed

Post by alschnertz » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Are you sure it's not the sway bar end links?
Especially the one on the right side? That's just behind the glove box - though on the other side of the firewall.
'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE

Richouser
United States of America

Post by Richouser » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks. I'm assuming anything is possible. However, I have had the right wheel off and closely inspected the whole suspension without finding anything. This sounds like it is inside the car at the area higher up where the glove box door meets the dash and just behind the metal shroud. However I have taken out everything that would allow me to get my hand back there and probe around and cannot locate it. It is something really loose and sort of bouncing around within a small area. I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with the passenger air bag system.

Richouser
United States of America

Post by Richouser » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:17 am

Alschnertz, just so you know I took your advice seriously, I changed out the sway bar links - no change in the rattle. Any other rabbets in the hat?