Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

Involuntary downshifting

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

Kelvinleeschroeder
Year and Model: S40 2000
Involuntary downshifting

Post by Kelvinleeschroeder »

2000 S40 auto 103k A few times I have been driving at highway speed and without depressing the accelerator pedal the transmission shifted down a gear. Pushing the pedal or letting it off then had no effect on shifting. Only after shoving it into neutral and then back to drive did it return to normal. My first question is do you know what the most likely cause for this is? Secondly, do you think it is harmful to continue driving the car before fixing it? Kelvin

iamn8
Year and Model: 2003

Post by iamn8 »

Are you getting a check engine light?

I'm inclined to say a solenoid that's stuck, or a sensor that's not reading data properly. Either show be giving you a code though.

Kelvinleeschroeder
Year and Model: S40 2000
Post by Kelvinleeschroeder »

Check engine light on. I need to clear it, then see what happens since I recently put in a coolant temperature sensor. Do you know if the solenoid is cleanable?
Thanks.

iamn8
Year and Model: 2003

Post by iamn8 »

The solenoid should be cleanable if it's in good shape.

The code that's causing the CEL will probably leads you in the right direction. Let us know what it is.