IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2003 S40 1.9t Concerned about the PCV Oil Trap

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

Livens
Year and Model: 2003 S40
Has thanked: 0
Livens

2003 S40 1.9t Concerned about the PCV Oil Trap

Post by Livens » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Hello everyone,

I just bought an S40 1.9 turbo and am in the process of getting her cleaned up. The previous owner apparently wasn't taking good care of her, the oil was filthy! And if he wasn't changing the oil I'm betting he never did any other service to it either.

I have another Volvo, an 88' 740 with 260k miles. It had a blocked flametrap when I got her and as a result the RMS leaks.

I would like to prevent that from happening to my new S40. But looking online I have read that my turbo does not have a PCV? But I have seen PCV Oil Traps for sale for my exact year/model. And in other places I have read that changing out the PCV/Oil Trap is time consuming, either removal of the intake, or pulling the power steering pump and alternator is required.

Can someone tell me if and what my car has? And if it is indeed the little black box under the intake that I have read about elsewhere.

Thanks so much,

Jeremy

difflock54
Year and Model: V40 Nordic 2002
New Zealand
difflock54

Re: 2003 S40 1.9t Concerned about the PCV Oil Trap

Post by difflock54 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:40 pm

A 2003 1.9 turbo S40 or V40 definately should have a PCV oil trap under the inlet manifold.
Being a turbo it will also have a PTC nipple fitted into the air intake pipe attached to the turbo unit, very close to the turbo end and also a vacuum connection / electric connection plug. The PTC fits the air hose with a rubber grommet seal and also should be cleaned periodically.
The small black rubber breather pipe located alongside the oil filler plug (left of) runs down thru a gap in the inlet manifold to the PCV oil trap. The PCV outlet hose runs across the front side of the motor and back above the transmission housing to the PTC.
Suggest you do a 'glove test' over your oil filler cap to check for a healthy vacuum (suction) which gives you an idea of the state of your PCV system first up anyway.
If the system is correctly sucking the glove in, you have no immediate urgent concerns with that whilst you concentrate on the obvious other neglected maintenance issues.

Livens
Year and Model: 2003 S40
Livens

Post by Livens » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks difflock54, that is exactly the type of information I needed.

I did a quick test of the suction from my oil fill hole, with mixed results. I used a piece of plastic bag and it sort of sucked it in, but it was more of a vibration. Hard to describe but it wasn't a constant vacuum being applied, on and off again really fast if that makes sense. Also it was spitting oil out at the same time.

Thanks,

Jeremy

FixXxer6
Year and Model: 2004 S40 1.9T
Been thanked: 0
FixXxer6

Post by FixXxer6 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:00 am

difflock54,

Can the PCV oil trap be taken off and cleaned and then reinstalled or do you have to purchase a new one?

Si vis pacem, para bellum

difflock54
Year and Model: V40 Nordic 2002
New Zealand
difflock54

Post by difflock54 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Some reuse the oil trap after thorough cleaning which is okay if in good condition.
The hoses are the issue. they start to deteriorate and become brittle/soft or split at the elbows.
To avoid the hastle of stripping down again you should replace all the critcal hoses that are hard to get at at the very least.
Important to clear out the engine block inlet and outlet ports as they get real clogged up sometimes.
Clean the PTc nipple at the turbo end of the air inle t hose also.

I would one day like to modify a PCV system using an aftermarket manuf' , totally repositioned,maintainable and readily drainable oil trap unit and reroute / modify the hosing pipework with larger diameter 5/8'' to reconnect to the critical components but i must admit to being a little wary of it being entirely successful.
With that set up one could quickly drain any oil build up in seconds at each oil/filter change.
Volvo's positioning of these oil traps is ridiculous expecially as they are so troublesome and expensive labour wise to replace and the main cause of oil seal failures.
Vehicles doing mainly short runs are especially prone to more frequent PCV system problems due to greater sludging risks. Keeping the oil and filter changes up to date is vital and the correct recommended grade of oil.

FixXxer6
Year and Model: 2004 S40 1.9T
FixXxer6

Post by FixXxer6 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Understood. Your idea about the reposition of the PCV system is great. I've seen different setups like you are talking about on naturally aspirated cars. Much easier! You can get the billet oil catch cans from Jegs or Summit racing. If you put a working kit together, it would save everyone a lot of money in the long run with repairs.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

pmondrian
Year and Model: S40, 2001
pmondrian

Post by pmondrian » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Livens,

Did you ever solve the PCV trap issue? I have a 2001 S40 1.9T with positive pressure (using the glove test) and yet the dealer is telling me that everything is fine.

alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T
United States of America
alschnertz

Post by alschnertz » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:34 pm

Did you do the glove test in front of the dealer?
I can't believe they would see that an tell you it is supposed to be that way.

'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE

pmondrian
Year and Model: S40, 2001
pmondrian

Post by pmondrian » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:21 pm

No, I didn't. I told it to them over the phone.

Their response was that they would have to do their own testing, but the guy didn't want to tell me what that would involve. He said that if the car isn't making a high whistling noise, the PCV is fine. Also, I had just had an oil change there last week (there was a coupon) and his response was that if there was a problem, their mechanic would have noticed it when doing his overall checkup.

Now, here's the killer. I then called my local independent who has done some work for me (oxygen sensor, brakes), and he didn't even want to look at this when I told him it involved the PVC. His response was that if the PVC hadn't been changed by now (180k), either the damage had been done or it was fine. It wasn't worth my money to have him fix it. He suggested I goto the dealership!

I'm handy (I replaced the coils and wires last month), but this is out of my comfort zone. Is this that hard of a job that a mechanic wouldn't want to do it?

alschnertz
Year and Model: 1995 854T
United States of America
alschnertz

Post by alschnertz » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:39 pm

I never heard of the "high whistling noise" as the test for a clogged PCV system, but then again, I'm only a lowly shade-tree wrencher.

I did the PCV on my '01 (coincidentally with 185,000 miles) last November. It wasn't completely clogged, but the hoses were very brittle and cracked as I removed them. I'm still glad I did it. I was able to re-use the canister, but all the appurtenant equipment needed replacement. I don't blame you're mechanic for not wanting to do the job. Although not terribly difficult, it is a PITA. There is a lot involved and will likely take a full day. Times that by his labor rate and you'll see why he was reluctant to do it.

I don't agree with his assessment of "hadn't been changed by now (180k), either the damage had been done or it was fine," but to each his own. I think he just didn't want to do the job.

If you have a good assortment of tools and the time to do it, you should consider giving it a try. It might be worth picking up a Haynes manual to guide you along.

Edit: It is much more involved than changing the coils.

'60 PV544, '68 220, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40
'84 Prelude
'06 MPV
'13 Ford Focus SE