Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

volvo s40 Window Regulator problem Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

volvo s40 Window Regulator problem

Post by guest »

I have a 2003 S40 with a driver side Window Regulator problem. the window will go down some times, but then sounds like I striped a gear. Can these be fixed with out buying a new one?

pwhisler
Year and Model: S40 1.9T 2002

Post by pwhisler »

I am not sure if this is the same problem, here is a video, does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? its the driver's side window

as a side note, how do you embed videos on here?!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7iq9eLSs4gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[YouTube]<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7iq9eLSs4gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YouTube]

[YouTube]7iq9eLSs4gg[/YouTube]

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7iq9eLSs4gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[YouTube][/YouTube]

pwhisler

Post by pwhisler »

it seems to make that noise at 3 levels, the bottom 1/3, 2/3, and at the top if its closed. I have to use my hand to pull it up.

pwhisler

Post by pwhisler »

it goes down no problem.

hrm3
Year and Model: S40 2002

Post by hrm3 »

I realize I'm digging up an old post but I have this exact same problem. It is exactly like the video clip shows/sounds. The window will only go up part of the way and then will making that buzz? sound as if a wheel is not keeping traction on something..

Anyone have a solution for this? (hopefully that doesn't involve replacing the regulator...)

Thanks.

iamn8
Year and Model: 2003

Post by iamn8 »

Bumping this old thread because my Wife's car started having the same problem yesterday. Literally, sound and function exactly the same as in the video.

I found complete window regulator assemblies for sale @ $175. Individual components MUST be available, right?

DirtyWrenches
Year and Model: 2000 s40

Post by DirtyWrenches »

I didn't read an answer to this so I will post one.

The video clearly shows what a bad worm drive in the window regulator motor sounds like. The window regulator will need to be replaced as either the worm gear or the drive gear have sustained some type of damage. Similar window issues that happen without the noise are likely the result of the internal rubber buffer detaching from the drive shaft/gear in the motor. Both of these scenarios require a new motor of some sort, as they are not rebuildable without access to the internal replacement parts.