IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 S40 Broken Wheel Stud. remove stud? hub?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

RyanJohnRyan
Year and Model: 2001 S40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
RyanJohnRyan

2001 S40 Broken Wheel Stud. remove stud? hub?

Post by RyanJohnRyan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:03 pm

I have been driving 25 years but just bought our first Volvo 6 months ago. My son turned 17 a few months ago and we bought him a "starter car" - a 2001 S40 with 160,000 miles on it. It had a few dings and scratches on it and we replace a dented door and hood, a dented door, brake pads, and headlights .. So far it is doing pretty well.

I am no mechanic although I have done a few things on my other cars like change out radiators, starters, alternators, brakes, and stuff like that.

Last week we were rotating tires and I had changed 3 of the wheels without any problem but one of the lug nuts on the front passenger side was badly stuck (bad threads?) I was able to move it a little but even though I was careful to make sure the tiretool was square to the lug nut when I pressed on it hard the "lug nut bolt" (I am not sure what I should call it) broke off. So right now I only have 3 lug nuts (studs) on the tire.

I called a couple of shops who do wheel/brake work and they told me that some Volvo's can have the broken "bolt" taken out and a new one put on but other models would require having the entire hub replaced. Possible even the whole "Knuckle" replaced - the guy called it a knuckle.

Does anyone know if on the 2001 S40 the "lug bolt" can be removed and replaced or does the entire hub need to be replaced. Also does anyone know of a link to how to do any of the above.

Thank you for any advice you can give this Volvo newbie.