IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

My Volvo V40 stalls and dies when D is engaged

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

valarinz
Year and Model: 1996 V40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Nigeria
valarinz

My Volvo V40 stalls and dies when D is engaged

Post by valarinz » Sat May 14, 2016 11:16 am

Hello house

I recently acquired a V40(1996 16 valve engine) from someone and I've been facing some issues with it

Firstly, the RPM just shoots up by itself and revs so high when the engine is started, I took it to a mechanic who said it's electrical issues and he did whatever he did and that stopped

Now the car is fine when in P or N, but when engaged to D it stalls and engine dies off, and when the engine manages to stay on, acceleration is very poor(like a horse trying to pull a skyscraper along), however, when put to reverse gear R, the car runs smooth and fine

I'm really scared of letting the trial by error mechanics we have over here(Nigeria) permanently ruin something for me, so I'll appreciate if anyone who has had similar issues will help me out with a solution

NB: Vehicle has been parked for over 2years prior to my possessing it now.

Thanks
Last edited by matthew1 on Sat May 14, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified title - please, no HELP in titles